If i install a game via disc on Xbox one, do i have to insert the disc every time I have to play it?

1. I had GTA V, only to lose it before I could even download it. I know, I'm an idiot. My friend has a disc version of the game and I was wondering if we could install it on my xbox and I could play it, without the disc?

User Info: TalkingCentaurs

TalkingCentaurs - 6 years ago

1. Sadly no, that is not possible, unless you bought the digital copy from the xbox store, if you install the game via the disc, you will need that disc to play the game, or another physical copy of the game.

User Info: FlatoutDude

FlatoutDude - 4 years ago 6   1

Answers

1. You need to have the disc for any game that was installed by disc.

User Info: leftturney

leftturney - 6 years ago 4   1
  2. If you have Ultimate Game pass or catch a free play weekend and your game happens to be on either of them you can play discless, otherwise you need the disc inserted.

User Info: athomas917

athomas917 - 1 year ago 1   2
  3. Unless you try to boot the game without the disc, and follow the prompts to purchase it digitally, you always need the disc.

Thank Sony, for their interference in the launch of the Xbox One, to cause the DRM that would have allowed you to only have to insert the disc occasionally to prove ownership, to be abandoned, in favor of always having to swap discs to play a game.

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir - 1 year ago 4   28
  4. Sony didn't cause that, outrage from users in areas with intermittent access to internet, like Alaska and on military duty did that.

It is only logical that if you install with a disc, you have to boot the game with the disc to prove you didn't sell it to someone else. It worked the same on PS3, Xbox 360, and PS2 for the games that supported hard drive install and didn't have a one-use registration code (like FInal Fantasy XI).

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan - 1 year ago
  5. You deserve all the negative votes that you're getting.

User Info: sethharris1191

sethharris1191 - 1 year ago
  6. It was because of Sony. People wanted to be able to lend a game to their friend, and still play it while their friend has the disc. Sony stepped in, and made it seem like it was going to be an invasion of privacy, by forcing your console to be ONLINE to play any game. By removing the always online requirement, they removed the option to share your games in that manner. This also forces you to insert the disc every time you want to play a game that was installed from disc.

It didn't help that Sony also pointed out, that having Kinect and having an Always Online system, meant that potentially, people could spy on you. Proof was in the fact that you could turn on your xbox by voice... everything else after they made that point, could be lies, (like it was) and the majority would be an angry mob.

So yeah, blame, Sony.

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir - 11 months ago
  7. Hahahaaaa... I can't believe there still are Delusional Xbot fanboys out there!

User Info: TupacNasir

TupacNasir - 11 months ago
  8. Only on xbone 4 the pso2 till pc but I can't believe anyone to actually fan boy over a console of any type what a joke. Like for real who cares which crappy console you play on m8. But yeah if it was set up via a disc it typically requires said disc lmao. Thought that fact was well known.

User Info: D1nidalee

D1nidalee - 11 months ago
  9. Oh and nothing towards "sony" but look at there phones. I rest my case oh but wait look at microsoft phones. Oh not much better

User Info: D1nidalee

D1nidalee - 11 months ago