Review by xenogears06

Reviewed: 03/15/07

A solid hack-and-slash port, but it's obvious that the game has aged

TMNT for the arcade was always an extremely popular and fun game when I was a kid. It was the closest thing to the cartoon as far as video game adaptations are concerned, and the arcade version was far better in every possible way when compared to the NES version. When I saw it listed for a mere 400 Microsoft Points, I skipped the demo version and went straight for the full version without even hesitating. After completing the game, however, I soon realized that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the Xbox Live Arcade is a fairly weak game overall, and only entertains for a short period of time.

The cartoony presentation is still there, complete with cheesy dialogue bubbles to illustrate what the turtles and enemies are saying. The game looks good for its age.

Remixes of the Ninja Turtle theme (the original, not the new garbage) and some voice clips were a novelty back then, and the TMNT arcade port contains all the old sounds and voices with great accuracy.

Game Play: 6/10
The game contains five levels of hack-and-slash action, and you can choose which Ninja Turtle you want to play as by pressing X, Y, A, or B (each button corresponds to an individual turtle). All turtles play exactly the same, and you use X and A to attack and jump. The two buttons and D-pad or analog stick create the full game experience, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for a level or two; however, the same actions over and over again can become dull. Thankfully you can buddy up on Xbox Live to get through the stages, but doing so isn't necessary to complete the game because you're given unlimited continues (which sadly kills the challenge, despite the Achievement possibilities).

Presentation: 5/10
You can play with your friends over the internet, which is always a cool thing. The part of the game that bothered me is the fact that, when choosing your turtle or continuing, you'll be able to select any turtle you want to be, but next to each turtle is an icon that portrays each turtle's new "updated" look in the newest Turtles movie. I don't know if it was Konami's or Microsoft's brilliant idea to taint the arcade with the lame icons of the new movie, but I really wish Microsoft would require that any alterations from the original games are good ones that don't take away from the games themselves.

Overall, TMNT is a fairly good game, but hasn't aged as well as some other classics (Dig Dug, Pac Man). However, this is one of the better Xbox Live Arcade games, and the price is reasonable (unlike some games that cost $10-20 to download). With co-op available, you can play with your friends through the five stages of the game in no time, and probably will enjoy yourself.

Buy or Preview: Preview. If you really love this game, then buy it.