Review by TheBottomLine316

Reviewed: 08/23/07

Football Is Back..And Better Than Ever!

As an avid football fan, I decided to shell out the dough this year for all 3 major football games: All-Pro Football 2K8, NCAA 08 and Madden 08. I can say that without a shadow of a doubt, Madden 08 is easily this year's best gridiron offering.

Graphics/Presentation: 9/10

The graphics are absolutely superb. The uniforms look beautiful, as always. Every team has at least one alternate-style uniform in addition to their standard home and away uniforms. The player models have an uncanny likeness to their real-life counterparts. The animations are very smooth and fluid. One very minor oversight was something that has been mentioned: the lack of nets behind the goal posts. Sideline personnel (other than head coaches) and the crowd just look like they were halfway done. It doesn't really bother me that much, but it should be improved.

Sound 9/10

The lack of John Madden and Al Michaels doing color and play-by-play has its positives and negatives, but the radio guy isn't horrible. The crowd sounds good as do the sound effects. The smack being thrown around on the field isn't bad either. I was a little disappointed with the soundtrack though, as I felt the need way too often to turn my volume down on my TV due to some occasionally loud and demonic music.

Gameplay 9/10

Well, I haven't really experienced the fumbling issue that many speak of, but interceptions are way up, and some of them are a bit ridiculous. Now, while many of my throws were bad passes, some of the DBs came up when them when my actual receivers couldn't grab the very same types of passes. That being said, it's still good. Running the ball is as great as it's ever been. The Highlight Stick/Hit Stick adds so much to the game in my opinion. It's also easier to me to make audibles on offense and defense.

Game Modes & Features 10/10

This version of Madden has some very good replay value. All of the modes, including franchise mode, front office mode and some never-boring mini-games will keep you satisfied. There is also a fantasy draft and along with that, you can play games with NFL Hall of Famers. The create-a-player and create-a-team options are very well done. One of the best things is the re-implementation of editing players, although I'm baffled as to why they will not let you edit a player's position. Online play is pretty fun as well. Although I haven't experienced the benefits of the Josten's Ring Customization mode, it does look fairly interesting. It appears as though their is actually some kind of decent in-game reward for advancing in Madden Gamer Levels. Also, there are some nice little trophies you can obtain from individual accomplishments and by winning games where a trophy is put on the line.

Conclusion

I'm definitely loving this game as it spends more time in my console than any other one right now. While there are some minor issues with various things, it's not enough to not buy the game.