Review by TwistedLoki

Reviewed: 10/30/09

Action RPG with a cliche story...so what?

Magna Carta 2 is a very fun game for your average RPG person. As this is my first ever review, let's just get to it shall we.

Storyline: 7/10
A lot of complaints people have with this game is the cliche storyline. You got a dude with amnesia who decides to join in the princess's struggle to regain her throne...SO WHAT!!! Yes it's cliche but I still found myself wanting to know how it was going to end. Sometimes the good (but not great) stories are the simple ones.

The graphics for this game are very well done. Sure some scenery can look bland and un-inspired but hey, no game is perfect. The character visuals are out standing. The emotions depicted on characters during cutscenes are clearly visible and don't look funny at all. Only downfall in terms of graphics are during conversations. Simple, bland, generic animations for EVERY conversation get very boring after the first hour.

Controls: 9/10
The controls were thoughtfully implemented into the 360 controller. A is attack, B is signature move, X is technique, D-Pad is switch characters, etc. What more could you ask for with these simple easy to use controls.

Music: 9/10
I love most of the music. It's nice and soothing while you're running around farming experience or just traveling from place to place.

The real time battle system is so-so. Why only so-so? Let's start with the pros. As mentioned above, the controls are very simple and easy to use. You have a stamina bar that when depleted, puts you into overdrive where you do additional damage and if you use a technique, you can then switch to another character, put them in overdrive and use another technique that nets you a Chain Break which will put both characters back to 0 stamina. This gives you a nice sense of strategy to use for every fight instead of just mashing the attack button. Each character also has two fighting styles to use and each style has it's own skill tree that you can put points in. This gives just one more reason for you to farm some experience if you want more skill points. Now the cons. I only really have one gripe with the battle system and that is the AI. I found that about half the time in combat, the AI controlled characters would just sit there as you fight. This wouldn't be such a big deal if it didn't make chain breaking such a hastle to pull off since they're not generating stamina. Even when I set their AI controls to attack aggresively, they would STILL just stand there as if cheering me on from the side lines. Aside from that little problem, gameplay is very fun.

Difficulty: 5/10
This game is ridiculously easy. You literally do not have to farm levels at all unless your going for the skill tree achievements. You can beat this game just playing normally and only stopping to farm for some money to buy equipment. While this is good for the casual gamer, I'm pretty sure I can say most hardcore RPG'ers want at least some kind of challenge when playing a 30+ hour RPG.

Achievement Relevance: 6/10
As with the difficulty, achievements in this game are very easy to get. Most of them require you to just play the game. Even the achievements linked to completing quests and finding all recipes are easy to get as it is nearly impossible to miss any quests with EVERYTHING being marked on the mini map for you. In my experience, I never had to go out of my way to find a quest since the quest givers were always somewhere along the route I had to go.

Replayablity: Very Low
The only reason you would want to play the game twice is if you're going for the achievements that require you to master both skill tree sets for each character. Even then, gamers can just use the save trick to unlock both achievements in one playthrough.

Final Score: 8/10
Magna Carta 2 is a fun RPG to play. It has some minor issues but nothing worth getting all anal about it.

Product Release: Magna Carta 2 (US, 10/13/09)