How do I remove the stolen status from the golden claw?

1. I recently stole the golden claw back from Lucian in Riverwood seeing as how I finished his quest i wanted to add it to my collection. So I stole it but I noticed the stolen tag was on it so I fenced it and bought it back but the second I drop it it got marked as stolen again. I went online and someone said to try and reverse pickpocket the item into a NPC inventory and then kill them and retrieve it, well I did that and it still didn’t work. I also read that I could marry his sister and the stolen mark would get taken off but I’d really really really rather not marry her because her face is just god awful (idk what Sven and faindal see in her small town I guess?) does anyone know how I can fix this? Or have any other ideas this is gonna be one of those things that bugs me to no end please any and all help is very much appreciated.

User Info: DEADGEAR

DEADGEAR - 3 weeks ago

1. Aside from the reverse-pickpocket method that you already mentioned, there is one more method that is commonly used:

1) bring a follower with you;
    2) place the Claw into a container that you own (ex.: your house) or one that is not owned by someone in particular (ex.: the cupboard on the left as soon as you enter the Thieves Guild from the cemetary. Tested it myself multiple times.);
    3) have your follower Take All of the container's content;
    4) ask them to trade items and take the Claw back;
    5) the item should not be marked as Stolen anymore.

Since it's a bug, it's not guaranteed to work all the time and on all items, so try it both in your house and in that one cupboard I mentioned (since it's a sure, tested spot IF you have *joined* the Guild).

User Info: Sage5

Sage5 (Expert) - 3 weeks ago 3   0
  2. Just tested it now on my game.
    There is an addition method:
    you can reverse-pickpocket the Claw onto Lucan Valerius and then buy it from him and it won't have the stolen status anymore.

HOWEVER, regardless of if you choose this method or the one that I described in my previous comment, the Stolen tag will reappear if you drop the Claw (if you move it from your pockets to another container, it will remain not-stolen).

So, TL;DR: yeah. You have to marry his sister to keep the Stolen tag from returning after you drop it.

User Info: Sage5

Sage5 - 3 weeks ago
  3. Thanks I reversed picked onto and bought it off Lucian can that seemed to fix it and remove the stolen tag again thanks for your help it wouldn't have ruined the game but it's just one of those things that I would know and just bug me lol

User Info: DEADGEAR

DEADGEAR - 3 weeks ago

1. The only way to remove the stolen is to sell it. It will always count as stolen, even if you kill them both.

User Info: darkdeity9

darkdeity9 (Expert) - 3 weeks ago 0   0
  2. If you steal any quest items, even if they've served their purpose, it will always count as stolen

User Info: darkdeity9

darkdeity9 - 3 weeks ago
  3. Yeah I noticed that with the statue of Dibella (the unique version) I just tried a bunch of different ways to remove it with no luck idk why the golden claw got unmarked maybe cuz it belonged to Lucian? Again not the end of the world but still pretty annoying.

User Info: DEADGEAR

DEADGEAR - 2 weeks ago