NPCs do not take my gifts, why?

1. Ive read here that in order for you to befriend some NPCs, you have to drop the item on front of them. but they just ignore it, why? One of the NPC (the guy who asked me to retrieve his father's sword in a bandit's camp) suddenly halt teaching his techniques to me because he caught me sneaking behind him. i wasnt pickpocketing, i was just checking his items, then he turned around and said "stay away from me", so i was trying to make up for that so he could teach me his swordskill once again but he keeps ignoring the items i drop. how exactly should i drop the items in front of them for them to take it?

User Info: itakwilsimanalo

itakwilsimanalo - 2 weeks ago

1. You can drop items and raise disposition, it's true. Done it myself. If the person that asks for the item you dropped is allowed to take it their relationship with you is raised. It's how people get the Altmer woman in Solitude to marry them as her actual quest dos not give the affinity it should to allow her to be married.

Also the person states they did not access their inventory at all so there was no crime if that is true.

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne (Expert) - 2 weeks ago 1   4
  2. but is there a specific technique or at least how far should i stand from the NPC that i wanted to give items? sometimes the item drops a little bit side ways of from them. but i tried it on someone sitting, the item dropped in front of that guy and he just ignore it. or do i need some specific items in order for them to pick it up, like they just wanted jewelries or fruits or potions?

User Info: itakwilsimanalo

itakwilsimanalo - 2 weeks ago
  3. The more expensive the item the more likely they will react I have noticed. It does not matter if they are directly next to the item but they have to be with in range to notice it. Also some one even further away than the target may except the item instead, it's all RNG and not a good way to raise disposition in all honesty due to this.

You can only try and see if the person you wanted actually asks for it I guess.

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne - 2 weeks ago

1. I don't know where you heard that you need to drop an item in front of an NPC to make it like you, but that is completely false.

What happened is you got caught doing a crime. Looking in someone's inventory by pickpocketing is not a crime, but getting caught is. Go talk to a guard and see if you have a bounty for doing that. NPCs have a disposition toward you. By completing a quest for Armen, you increased it. By getting caught looking in his pockets, you lowered it.

elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Disposition

User Info: FactoidHunter

FactoidHunter (Expert) - 2 weeks ago 9   0
  2. Dude ive been playing ever since 2013 and its the first time im hearing of this nonsense

User Info: NeroDantes

NeroDantes - 1 week ago

1. Factoids answer is correct. Oldones is wrong and missing some things. Oldone, to marry taarie, you need both, complete fit for a jarl quest (which does give disposition but not enough) AND to invest in her store through the perk. Only then can you marry the only high elf marriage prospect. As far as I know the only reason he'd stop training you is if you out leveled him, which is easy as he is only an adept (lowest) trainer, or if you id do something against him. However that is only a temporary disposition loss. Warp away, wait 24 hours, come back and all is forgiven, unless you made him a widower and you got caught.

User Info: Artef

Artef - 1 week ago 6   0
  2. You sure you have not gained more levels in one handed than Amren can teach. He can only get you to 75. Once your that level in one handed skill he will no longer be able to teach you anything. You can also only train 5 levels each per overall level of your character.

If you sneak behind someone and they comment it does not effect your relationship with them anyway, only if you get caught rifling through their pockets does it count.

The drop item thing is RNG and very, very hard to get what you want when you want as there are more than one response they can make towards it no less. the may even end up fighting to death with some one else.

You can also go to the Orc strong hold Dushnikh Yal near Markarth and find Burguk who can train you up to level 90 in one handed. You will have to befriend him first though.

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne (Expert) - 2 weeks ago 1   4