What is the benefit of backstab boosting gloves over sneak attack boosting ones?

1. Alright I know this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find a definitive answer for this specific question.

Is there any reason anyone would ever choose the backstab x2 damage gloves over the sneak attack x2 damage gloves?

They both provide X2 damage but one requires the added requirement of being behind the opponent while the other does not. So if they do the same thing but the backstab gloves have one more extra requirement for me to benefit from them than why would I ever choose them?

Right now this seems really really silly to me and is akin to putting two pieces of armor in game that effect for example magic and allows your spells to do double damage except one piece of armor requires that you have oakflesh cast on yourself first while the other doesn't. Why bother with the extra hassle when the other option gives you the same benefit with no strings attached?

Does it have to do with the sneak perks or am I mixing up things because none of the perks have anything to do with backstabs, they all say sneak attacks. Hell even the perk named "Backstab" still says you only need to be sneaking, not attacking from behind for it to work, meaning you could stand right in front of someone while sneaking and not being seen and still do X6 damage.

User Info: The_Machine04

The_Machine04 - 8 years ago

1. x30 is the max multiplier. Backstab perk increases one-handed sneak attack damage to x6 and the Assassin's Blade perk raises it to x15 restricted to daggers ONLY. Equip a pair of gloves that gives double sneak attack or backstab and you've got yourself x30 so long as you use a dagger to do it (by the way I've done the math and 30x damage with a dagger is better than 12x damage with any other one-handed weapon of the same material and quality).

To answer your question though, yes, you are right. Sneak attack is favorable to backstab since it applies to every and all sneak attacks from any and all weapons, however I don't know why you wouldn't be behind your target if you're concerned about melee attacks...
    *sneaks up in front of target* INSTANTLY SPOTTED!!
    Unless he's so pompous he can't see you under his nose.

User Info: hyoujin18

hyoujin18 - 8 years ago 1   0

1. sneak attack x2 is allways better then backstab x2

Sneak does x2 for ALL weapons (including bows), where as backstab is x2 for ONLY melee weapons.

User Info: Ciryadin

Ciryadin (Expert) - 8 years ago 0   0
  2. If you are sneaking and you do a backstab, you will get bonus damage for the backstab instead of just the sneak attack. also if you have the right perks you can get up to a 17 backstab with a 5 or 6 sneak attack bonus with one handed weapons.

User Info: DarthKazekagae

DarthKazekagae - 8 years ago 0   0
  3. I get x30

User Info: ichigo_1984

ichigo_1984 - 8 years ago 0   0
  4. hyoujin18 is right, and if your sneak is high enough and use invisibility you can walk right in front of theM.

User Info: lilklaw

lilklaw (Expert) - 7 years ago 0   0