Review by TheFinalW0rd

Reviewed: 09/08/06

An enchanting ride with a few bumps here and there..

Dreamfall attempted to revive a dying genre. It's basically a 3d version of a point and click game much like King's Quest or Myst on the PC. Yet despite the odds Dreamfall does a great job of immersing you into the story. You play Zoe Castillo, a 21 year old girl who lives in the amazingly bright city of Casablanca.
If you're a guy you'll enjoy the first 10 minutes of the game as she is walking around in a tank top and underwear... if that's your kind of thing. The story takes off from there and I don't really want to spoil it because though simple at first becomes pretty complicated later.

Gameplay - 8
The mechanics aren't the best but they are usable once you learn how to work
the item menu. Loading times are a breeze, absolutely loved that about the game. The loading times were virtually 3-4 seconds at most. Now the in game mechanic are a bit sluggish as you will constantly be running places. They do have pressure sensitive walking, but quite frankly it doesn't really matter. They do a stealth button, which is used on some situations but is overall a nuisance.

Music / Sound- 10
I loved the OST ( original soundtrack ) of Dreamfall, the ochestra would do this should be praised. I'm not sure where I heard this quote but it definitely put things into perspective for me. "Great music can create a fictional world in itself". and that's true. From the sounds of a bustling medieval bazaar to
angelic background vocals, they pulled it off BEAUTIFULLY.

Voice Acting - 10
Strangely enough I had to this section in because some people don't really just how important Voice Acting. If a game is absolutely GREAT but the VA sucks that can do it in, where as if your game is mediocre but the VA is great game it can save it. That's exactly the case here, what made Dreamfall bearable was the VA ( voice acting ), at times I felt like I was watching a movie due to all the dialogue. There's another phrase " I relieve myself of the rigours of directing by casting correctly".

Graphics - 6
Honestly at first the graphics are obviously very plain, not much details. Textures are simple. Frankly it looked like something on the PS2 back in 2001.
But as you play the game more you realize why they sacrificed graphics. They did it for gameplay and the fact that there is TONS of talking. But it's not boring talking, it's important.

Overall -
I give it an 8;
great job in trying bring back this genre and we'll see. But I'm not too happy w/ the ending. Too much of a trend this whole "open ending" thing is. If you've been playing Fable of Knights of the Old Republic and are looking for a good story game that'll help fill the time, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey is definitely a good one.

recommendation - Rental
purchase if you really enjoy it.

that's the final word.