Review by TAMKFan

Reviewed: 04/10/06

This game doesn't deserve all the bashing it gets.

I'm a big Sonic fan. And I was happy to try out the new spin-off: Shadow The Hedgehog which is based on a rival of Sonic named Shadow. Before playing this game I saw it got low scores in different gaming sites. Like I said IGN giving it a 4.9 and Gamespot give it a 4.8. Let me just tell you that this is not a bad game at all. It's just misunderstood and underrated or at least in my opinion. Before grading and commenting on the factors let me counter some common problems people had with this game:

"Since when did a Sonic game use guns?":

Okay well first of all this is a Sonic SPIN-OFF game. Not a REAL Sonic game. I don't understand why people are so upset about a Sonic (or spin-off) game having guns. I mean ain't it nice to at least try something new every once in a while. And that's what this game was trying to do. Besides the guns are only optional so you don't have to use them if you don't want to.

"The controls suck!":

How so? This game has the same controls that are found in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 with little to no differences so I don't see why people have never complained about the controls in those games but they complain about it in this game! Now I've only played the XBox version of this game so assuming the controls are glitchy or something in the PS2 and/or GameCube versions. Otherwise I just don't understand.

"The graphics suck"

Just like the controls the graphics remain the same from other 3D Sonic games. I can understand people expect a graphical upgrade but maybe they couldn't make better than this. And this doesn't exactly mean the graphics are bad more like "disappointing".

Now that I'm done with that let me do this:

Gameplay: Like I said earlier it's the same that is in the Sonic Adventure games plus the guns and vehicles but you can control them easily. Rating: 8/10

Graphics: These graphics are still great despite not much of an upgrade from Sonic Heroes. Rating: 9/10

Sound: Their's normal Sonic sound hear. I don't know why but I really like some of the music in this game. Like some of the sad or drama songs they use. The swearing though brings down the grade a little bit. Rating: 7/10

Value: Their's many paths to choose from and many endings too. And it's just generally a fun game. Rating: 9/10

Overall: This is pretty good game and not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. If you're a Sonic fan and little things like guns or swearing bothers you too much then you should try out this game.

Overall Rating: 8/10