Review by DarkKamui

Reviewed: 04/10/04

Keep your hands up

Fight Night 2004. I picked it up today for the x-box. Boxing games have always had a hard time emulating actual boxing. They are either too stiff or too ''acardadey'' with each fighter standing in front of the other and throwing nothing but hooks and uppercuts.

Fight Night 2004 is the greatest boxing game to ever be released. Bobbing and weaving is now as easy to do as throwing a jab. Total punch control, although a little awkward at first lets you do something you could never do in any boxing game before. Fake your opponent out. Fake throwing a jab and catch him with an overhand right. Bob left, bob right then throw a left hook knocking your foe out cold.

The standard modes are all here. Exhibition, career ect. ect
One mode I really enjoy is the my corner option. This lets you create your boxers, but it lets you do so without having go to threw the career mode if you choose not too. Your favorite boxer not in the game? No problem. You can put him in there right away without having to wait. Also, they appear right in the list with the pre made fighters. Your fighter is a heavyweight? We will be in the list along with the other fighters. His actual 3-d model also appears, not just a shadow or a wireframe. Nice touch for sure.

This game is simply awesome. Roy Jones Jr looks especially good in this game. Roy looks exactly, like Roy does in real life. Some fighters don't look as good as other (Holyfield is a prime example of this) but as a whole everything looks and sounds great. The play by play is ok. Its not great, but it gets the job done. I would of liked to hear Tony Atlus or Max Kellerman but I am not gonna dwell on that.

There are lots of little things to unlock. Lots of different gloves, trunks, boots and music. It will keep you coming back fore more.

One thing I would like to see added is maybe an HBO license. Having your fighter fight on HBO afterdark would be awesome. ESPN would be great also. Friday Night fights, hearing Tony Atlus and Max Kellerman talk about your fighter as he climbs to the top.

Its a shame that EA signed a deal with Sony to only have on-line play for the playstation. The game would of become the greatest sports game ever if it did. Too bad

Anyone that has even a passing interest in boxing NEEDS to get this game! You will not be able to put it down!

Gameplay 10/10