Review by coolcat600

Reviewed: 03/03/04

This isn't steak - Tough IS good

I just got the game, and its a great and very promising title so far. Although I haven't beaten it, I have seen quite a few things that are very impressive.

For instance, the music. What I have heard of it is great. I use 5.1 Surround, so the quality is high, but I would imagine that even on a stereo TV, you will get a really nice sound.

The moves, its great... Nothing like running on water - RUNNING ON WATER! wow, I, just don't know how to explain it, but I love the moves. You get a variety of combos, and then you have a variety that you can unlock over the course of the game.

The actual controls were easy to get a handle on. I do have to say that the having to use the right stick to go into a view, instead of controlling the camera was annoying - at first. But, after I thought about it, I like it. The camera can easily be auto centered, but if your looking around, its nice to have to be forced into this - if your in that mode, you may be inclined to look around a bit more than normal.

Visually - Wow, I don't know where to start. For starters Everything looks so, real. Then, you get to the details like, well... Ryu's scarf. Sure, its nothing big, but to have something that is always there, use movement in that way, is just visually impressive. The hair is very nice as well. Like I said, it all looks so real - including the water. When you walk on it, you can see the ripples, and when your underwater, it blurs. That might seem like a bad thing, but I assure you that it is not. It adds to the realism.

Finally, in keeping with my title - this game is tough. Very tough. Most games like this, you can just hack and slash. Like Shinobi or Onimusha - you could, if need be, get by with just hacking, hacking, and then running. In this game, you can't. If you try, you die, its that simple. I have waited for a game for quite a while that was challenging enough to where it takes a long time to beat. This game appears to do so.

Overall, this game reminds me of the other ''ninja'' type titles, onimusha, shinobi - but its tougher, it looks better, and overall seems to be a better game. I think that this game deserves a perfect score.

As a side note, if your new to the ninja gaiden world, and want to get some history, there is a way to play the ''Old School'' games - Ninja Gaiden I, II, III. Its wonderful.

Enjoy!