Cloud is the first character in the Super Smash Bros. series to not have a canonical appearance from his respective mainline series on a Nintendo console, the first character newcomer in Super Smash Bros 4 to have debuted in the 1990s, as well as the first DLC character to have an alternate costume that modifies his model rather than just his texture.
Contributed By: xixDUDE312xix.
On the Onett stage, if you can hack the camera, zoom into the grass by the Drug Store. For some reason, there is a hidden rice ball behind the grass. Interestingly, this rice ball has been in the grass in all the other versions of the stage in the other games.
Contributed By: CoolKoopa15.
When initiating Palutena's guidance as Pit when fighting against a Mii gunner, the Nintendo Wii's code name "Revolution" is referenced when Viridi refers to the Mii gunner's motion controlled arm cannon as "revolutionary".
Many of the Boxing ring titles were changed when the game was brought to the PAL Region:
• Mario: "Mr. Video Game Himself" became "Smashes Bricks with his Fist."
• Luigi: "The Eternal Understudy" became "Lean, Green Fighting Machine."
• Peach: "Princess of Toadstools" became "Princess of the Mushroom Kingdom."
• Bowser Jr.: "The Prince of Koopas" became "Like Father, Like Son."
• Larry Koopa: "The Youngest" became "Leader of the Seven Minions."
• Roy Koopa: "The Cool One" became "Fear the Shades."
• Wendy Koopa: "The Bold Beauty" became "Bold, Bossy, and Big-Headed."
• Morton Koopa: "The Enforcer" became "He'll Make You See Stars."
• Lemmy Koopa: "Wacky War Machine" became "Let's Get Wacky."
• Yoshi: "Omnivore of the Year" became "He's Not Yolking Around."
• Diddy Kong: "The Acrobat" became "Trigger Happy with His Peanut Popgun."
• Little Mac: "Bruiser from the Bronx" became "The Only Numbers He Knows Are 'One-Two'."
• Sheik: "The Illusive Sheikah" became "A Sheikah Shrouded In Mystery."
• Ganondorf: "The King of Darkness" became "The King of Evil."
• Toon Link: "Wind-Waking Warrior" became "Wave-Riding, Wind-Waking Warrior".
• Zero Suit Samus: "The Warrior Within" became "Low Armour, High Agility".
• Pit: "Captain of Lady Palutena's Guard" became "Lady Palutena's Captain of the Guard".
• Marth: "The Hero-King" became "The Legendary Hero-King."
• Ike: "The Radiant Hero of Legend" became "The Radiant Hero".
• Robin: "The Tactician Magician" became "The Tome-Toting Strategist".
• Kirby: "The Pink Puffball" became "Gritty in Pink".
• Duck Hunt (Duo): "Bark, Quack, Boom!" became "The Most Unlikely of Partnerships".
• King Dedede: "The King of Dream Land" became "Says He's King, and That's That".
• Fox: "Leader of Star Fox: became "Never Gives Up! Trusts His Instincts!".
• Pikachu: "Pika Pika!" became "The Electric Mouse Pokemon".
• Lucario: "Master of Aura" became "Exudes Power".
• Jigglypuff: "The Sleepy Singer" became "The Delightful Balloon Pokemon".
• Greninja: "Master of Stealth" became "The Unpredictable Ninja Pokemon".
• R.O.B.: "The Last of His Kind" became "Robotic Obliterating Buddy".
• Captain Falcon: "The Supersonic Slugger" became "The Supersonic F-Zero Pilot".
• Wii Fit Trainer (F): "The Yoga Warrior" became "She'll Make You Feel The Burn!".
• Shulk: "The Visionary" became "Has Visions of Victory".
• Dr. Mario: "The Prescriber" became "Fists Full of Medicine".
• Lucina: "Warrior from a Doomed Future" became "Defiant of Destiny".
• Pac-Man: "The Yellow Bane of Ghosts" became "Ghost-Gobbler".
• Sonic: "The Blue Blur" became "Speed is His Game".
• Mega Man: "Blue Metal Hero" became "The Blue Bomber".
• Wii Fit Trainer (M): "The BMI Bandit" became "He'll Blast Your Core!".
• Alph: "Astronaut in Training" became "Novice Explorer, Engineering Pro".
When Pit gets KO'd he'll sometimes say, "I'm Finished". This is a reference to the original Kid Icarus Game Over screen.
Mega Man's alternate color swaps are all taken from possible weapon colors used in previous Mega Man games:
• Red and White - Rush Coil from Mega Man 3
• Green and White - Leaf Shield from Mega Man 2
• Gold and Brown - Metal Blade from Mega Man 2
• Blue and White - Air Shooter from Mega Man 2
• Green and Yellow - Slash Claw from Mega Man 7
• Red and Black - Flame Blast from Mega Man 6
• Yellow and Black - Top Spin from Mega Man 3
In the Boxing Ring stage of the Wii U version of the game, character aliases appear on the screen in the background which reference other games or early concepts, such as Mario's being "Mr. Video Game Himself" referencing his early name "Mr. Video", and R.O.B.'s being (Spoiler:) "The Last of His Kind", referencing the events of Subspace Emissary from Super Smash Bros. Brawl in which (Spoiler): the other R.O.B.s were destroyed.
**Ocarina of Time spoilers**
Before the final update to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Sheik and Zelda had the exact same weight. This is a reference to OoT, where it is revealed Sheik is Zelda in disguise.
However, the latest update changed this by reducing Sheik's weight by 1 unit.
Heihachi from Tekken was considered a playable character on Smash Bros. 4, but was dropped because Masahiro Sakurai couldn't figure out how his moves will translate into the game.
Contributed By: videogamefan99.
Mewtwo, the game's first DLC character, was made available two weeks in advance for players who purchased both this game and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS via the Club Nintendo rewards site. However, after the character was made available, it was discovered that using Mewtwo in specific game modes would cause a data glitch that prevented players from accessing the game's online features. The glitch was corrected before Mewtwo was officially released to all players.
Contributed By: TuxedoAlex.
Bayonetta's forward throw is the Tetsuzanko, a technique originally used by Akira Yuki in the Virtua Fighter series games, a fighting game also owned by SEGA (which she can also use in the Bayonetta games.
Very rarely upon using her forward throw, Bayonetta may say "Juunen hayain da yo!" ("You're 10 years too early!"), even if she is using her English voice. This is a direct reference to Akira, who says this as a victory quote in the Virtua Fighter games; this also occurs when she uses the technique in the Bayonetta games.
Contributed By: master_gamer11.
Having specific character pairs fight each other in a normal 1v1 Smash fight results in personalized victory screens:
• Fox beats Falco:"Better luck next time, Falco."
• Falco beats Fox: "You're off your game, Fox."
• Male Robin beats Lucina: "Lucina, I hope I didn't hurt you."
• Female Robin beats Lucina: "How can you protect Chrom if you can't protect yourself?"
• Lucina beats Marth: "This is the Hero-King?"
• Lucina beats Ike: "And they call you the Radiant Hero?"
• Palutena beats Pit:"Oh, so sorry about that, Pit."
• Palutena beats Dark Pit: "Poor little Pittoo."
• Dark Pit beats Pit: "Where's your goddess now?"
One of Princess Zelda's alternate outfits is the same as the design used in Super Smash Bros. Melee, based on her appearance in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
The song that plays on the results screen after a fight is the character select theme from the first Super Smash Bros.
Mega Man's up-tilt, the Mega Upper, is from his Marvel Vs. Capcom moveset. However, it originated from Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters.
After obtaining every Mii outfit, the game will give you a notification reading, "Collected every type of custom outfit! Your body is ready!" A reference to Nintendo of America CEO Reggie Fils-Aime's popular quote from E3 2007, "My body is ready!", which has since become a popular meme.
If Shulk is on the Gaur Plains stage when Metal Face appears, Metal Face will occasionally say unique taunts.
The taunts are:
• "If it isn't the puny boy himself.You miss me?"
• "Hey, Monado boy, I don't think you can hurt me with that thing"
• "OH! It looks like Monado boy's been practicing"
• "If the brat's here, I bet Dunban can't be far behind."
When Mega Man gets KO'd, his KO explosion has blue spheres coming out from where he was KO'd. Mega Man is the only character in the game to have a unique KO explosion, and is a reference to his death animation from the Mega Man series of games.
When initiating Palutena's guidance as Pit when fighting against Shulk, Pit will make several quotes to popular phrases used in Xenoblade Chronicles, such as "What a bunch'a jokers" and "Let's not lose our 'eads, though."
In the Wii U version, there is unused text that says:
Unlocked the Gamer stage! Beware the mother's gaze!
Unlocked the Temple stage! Time to fight way above the clouds!
This most likely meant the Temple and Gamer stages were going to be unlockable stages at one point.
Shulk: I'm really feeling it!
Captain Falcon: Falcon Punch!!
Ike: I fight for my friends!
Captain Falcon: Show me your moves!
Ike: You'll get no sympathy from me.
Robin: "Time to tip the scales!"
Contributed By: Pickley-.
Bayonetta: "If you need to learn how to talk to a lady, ask your mum."
Ike: GREAT! AETHER!
Contributed By: Sperk.
Corrin's Sister (In Corrin's reveal trailer): Big Brother is now Big Sister!
Prepare yourself. - Ike
Contributed By: DreamconfediGF.
Metal Face: "Whatever you're doing, it looks... Smashing!"
Contributed By: SkittySaysMeow.
Peach: Did I win?
Contributed By: mahdog.
Female Corrin: Good.
Ness and Lucas: PK STARSTORM!
Cloud when winning a match: "Waruku omou na." ("No hard feelings")
Cloud when winning a match: "Omae ni ore wa taosenai." ("I'm out of your league.")
Corrin: "How... can this...?"
Contributed By: MegaBlaZone.
Chrom: You'll taste the bitterness of defeat! Just as, soon as, Robin gets the Smash Ball...
Contributed By: Aperturehero.
Cloud when winning a match: "Tsuitenai na." ("Better luck next time.")
Ryu when winning a match: "Your range is one fist short."
Doc Louis: You win, Mac!
Contributed By: NE_OC.
Contributed By: kirbymaster1111.
Contributed By: linkueizero.
Lucina:Father, I won!
Ryu: Talk is cheap!
Contributed By: nsplayer.
Ryu: "Give it your all!"
Ryu when winning a match: "The journey... has just begun."
Connection to Other Media
When using Pac-Man's Up taunt, the Namco Roulette taunt, various characters from other Namco games will appear:
• Clovis from Dragon Buster
• Don from Taiko no Tatsujin
• Fighter from Bosconian
• Fighter from Galaga
• Galaxip from Galaxian
• Ghost from Pac-Man
• Gilgamesh from The Tower of Druaga
• King from King & Balloon
• Mappy from Mappy
• My Car from Rally-X
• Paccet from Baraduke
• Pooka from Dig Dug
• Red Baron from Sky Kid
• Secret Fighter from Gaplus
• Solvalou from Xevious
• Topcup from Libble Rabble
• Andor Genesis from Xevious
• Valkyrie from Valkyrie no Densetsu
• Runner from Metro-Cross
Got Some Trivia?
You can submit your own trivia, quotes, or connections for this game to share them with our users.