Review by getalongtubby

Reviewed: 04/29/13

Misunderstood, unfairly represented

In the grand scheme of things, there are historically four things in which people will always spit and scoff at with disdain. The first is Adolf Hitler. The next two are the Kevin Costner movie "Waterworld" and the Nintendo Virtual Boy. The last is a combination of the middle two things, "Waterworld" the video game for the Virtual Boy. While I agree with the mustachioed entry to the "poop" list of history, I feel "Waterworld," the Virtual Boy, and especially the video game "Waterworld" on the Virtual Boy are not given a fair shake.

To start with, the hate for the Virtual Boy is uncalled for and unfounded. I know, it's fun to bash old video game stuff and it seems to be popular to pick on the Virtual Boy. Maybe it's because Nintendo ruled the world at one point in time and the Virtual Boy was the first crack in their hull or maybe because people were told by a poplar internet personality that it's terrible, and therefore, they believe it without question or involving their own critical thinking. Either way, I almost feel like making some "It Gets Better" videos for the Virtual Boy considering how much it gets bullied.

The Nintendo Virtual Boy was a system with a concept ahead of it's time using technology that was... well... not quite there yet. It was a good try though with some fantastic, overlooked gems that are worth playing completely through if you have a jug of Visine close at hand. Waterworld is not one of them, but it's certainly worth a spin if you get a chance. If I had to boil down the review to one word it would be: arcade. Waterworld is an arcade game through and through. If this version of Waterworld was released in, say, the late 80s and in the arcades with the same gameplay, we'd be calling it a classic today.

The gameplay involves you taking control of Kevin Costner's character in his boat (which, for those of you who keep track of this stuff, this is the third time people have been able to play as Kevin Costner in a video game) and keeping the evil "smokers" from killing the innocents trapped in the water by gliding around on the water and shooting them........ and that's about it. Think Asteroids except with a hamfisted environmental message and a floating 3D Dennis Hopper face that flies at you after completing a level, and you got Waterworld.

There really isn't much to say except the game isn't that bad. Personally, labeling it the worst Virtual Boy game is a little extreme (that honor probably belongs to Golf or Virtual League Baseball). It's a little pricey nowadays, so if you ever come across it, or have a chance to get it another way, then I'd say pick it up and enjoy for about 15 minutes. That about how long you should be playing a Virtual Boy anyway if you don't want your eyes to fall out.

Product Release: Waterworld (US, 12/31/95)