Review by AKMoose

Reviewed: 07/09/00 | Updated: 07/09/00

Makes tennis fun!

Let me clear this up: I don't like tennis. I've seen it on TV, and the game bores me. But, it came with the VirtualBoy, if I'm not mistaken, so I decided to give it a chance. Could the factor of being Toad or Luigi make Tennis fun? Well, that wasn't the only thing different from the real thing, but I enjoyed this game MUCH more than I thought I was going to.

Graphics - 8 out of 10. Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Princess Toadstool, Toad, Yoshi, and a Koopa Trooper (I think, it's one of them turtles) all look very nice, and have their own little expression for being happy with a point, upset over missing, etc. The VB makes good use of it's system, there's a great feeling of depth and realism as you pound the ball back and forth across the net. The only drawback is some of the backgrounds have nothing in the sky, giving the game an empty type of feeling. Other than that, some of the system's better visuals.

Sound - 7 out of 10. Pleasant little tunes, although I can't remember them. But the sound effects make up for it, giving the audio a good score.

Story - It's TENNIS. Seriously. I'm starting to think I should just axe this part of my reviewing system... nah. It adds a few words. Gotta hit that 300 mark, after all.

Control/Gameplay - 10 out of 10. Here's where the game shines. Tennis, made fun and easy. All you have to worry about is moving around he court and hitting the ball with either a hard or softer swing of the racket. It's not hard to miss the ball, and easy to get the hang of. You can pick it up after not playing for months and still have no trouble. If you don't know tennis rules, every time your opponent can't hit the ball after it bounces twice, you score. Scoring goes 15, 30, 40, win, although if both of you hit 40, you need to score for the ''A'' (no clue) THEN win. You can also adjust the difficulty, play doubles, or go for a tournament (two matches), so there's plenty of variety. Also, you pick one or three matches. A match consists of as many games as it takes for one side to win six.

Replay Value - 8 out of 10. The options give enough variety to keep yourself interested, and the game is fun enough to hold your interest as well. Even if you're not a tennis fan, they game is fun to play.

Overall Score: 8 out of 10. As I've drilled into your head, I didn't like Tennis, but loved this game. It's sad this great game is wasted on the VB, which most people will never get a chance to play. But if you've got the system, you've got the game. If you don't for some reason... GO GET IT! One of the best reasons to play the VirtualBoy.