Review by MFields1978

Reviewed: 05/13/19

The Story of Moonlight Lady

There are a lot of RPGs for the PC Engine CD that wasn’t released here. There are also a lot of games with female protagonists. Moonlight Lady is kinda both. The whole game is in Japanese but I will try to summarize as much as I can. Like I said, I don’t know what’s going on but I can try.

The game opens up with a pretty decent music track showing the characters in the game. When you start the game, the first scene reminded me of the intro of the 80s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. You know, when you see the dark skies and the moon and then it pans down between two buildings? Only this time instead of an opening sewer, we see our main heroine with pink hair. She sees this orb that speaks and she screams and runs away.

She wakes up and gets yelled at by somebody. It’s either her dad, her boss, I don’t know. Turns out that orb is a talking parrot and she still gets scared. Eventually she warms up to this thing and together they walk the neighborhood. I like the music here.

They eventually find a park with some monster running around. She turns into what I guess is either a superhero or a knight, and she can slice into a half oval beam that ranges into a short distance. I’m pretty sure she’s using a sword, however, her screams are annoying and she does that every single time she slices. When she gets to the monster, it throws her off screen and she lands in front of some guy flirting with a girl on the bench. When I go to my right, a cop stops me but then we hear a scream. When you go back to the area of the bench, everyone including the cop appear to be dead.

You rematch into a boss fight and it’s really easy. You can charge your weapon again this bug thing with four arms that tries to puke on you and I had this shield around me. It went down without hurting me.

Then you wake up in school and your teacher turns into a monster and you scream again. Our main hero is very girly. Next thing you know you have chores and have to go through the many floors to talk to people to try to trigger a fight on the roof. It’s very tedious and the floors are huge. I like the music here though.

I honestly didn’t get very far but I actually really want to complete this game. I would love an English translation since I am very intrigued. I doubt this will get the recognition but if you ever collecting PC Engine games, try this one out. I played through it on YouTube. Check it out in Arcadia Films.

Product Release: Moonlight Lady (JP, 03/26/93)