Do I have to start over?

1. My Pokemon Sword cardridge broke. If I were to buy a new one, or buy it digitally. Do I have to start over?

User Info: TGO1125

TGO1125 - 1 month ago
  2. Darn, how did it break? Curious to prevent my carts from breaking. Just an accident, like stepping on it? Or rain getting in you bag or something common like that?

User Info: 1337Rooster

1337Rooster - 2 weeks ago
  3. Im sure you won't break it the same way I did. You see I have these giant clothes ironer machine(pretty handy) I was ironing my clothes without knowing my pokemon sword was in my chest pocket, melted it right down....

User Info: TGO1125

TGO1125 - 2 weeks ago

1. No, the save data is in your Switch's system memory. Just get a new cartridge and everything will be fine.

User Info: CardTamer

CardTamer (Expert) - 1 month ago 27   1
  2. cartridge or digitally, save data still in this system memory.... even you can borrow someone's cartridge, you still have your same save data...

User Info: dragonfoxmem

dragonfoxmem - 3 weeks ago

1. Would the same be true for a digital copy

User Info: TGO1125

TGO1125 - 1 month ago 8   3
  2. Yes, a digital copy will still run off of the Switch system memory, so feel free to download the game and continue.

User Info: shinryu_omega

shinryu_omega - 1 month ago
  3. plus digital copies take up more system memory than physical ones, which means unless you have a nice big micro-SD card with lots of space, it isn't generally worth getting the digital version

User Info: yukicrewger2

yukicrewger2 - 1 month ago
  4. I can at least confirm that the digital copy would still have the same save data since it's tied to system memory, as I bought my friend a copy of Pokemon Sword with the Expansion Pass, and he still was able to access his save file with the game. In terms of digital copies being more prone to glitches, though, not 100% sure. Though, I CAN say that physical Switch games apparently don't let you earn My Nintendo Gold Coins a year after its release, so take that however you will.

User Info: crazyseandx

crazyseandx - 1 month ago
  5. @CardTamer that is a lie, i have never heard of such a thing, and i've been playing digitally for quite a long time now.

they're the same exact coding and everything, if anything, physical games are more prone to being damaged, cause there is something to ACTUALLY damage.

i have never had any issues with digital games, even the ones i previously owned physical copies for.

User Info: ZeroJinKui

ZeroJinKui - 1 month ago
  6. @CardTamer Maybe don't come on here spreading misinformation as an answer. Physical Carts are more susceptible to any kind of malfeasance simply because they are on a separate medium.

User Info: AirborneMuffins

AirborneMuffins - 1 month ago
  7. Go around the the various boards and you'll see many more people having more problems with digital games than physical. When glitches pop up, he first question on most boards is "Is it digital?", simply because digital is more prone to glitches and errors. Physical may have it's own set of problems, but so long as you take care of them, they have a much lower rate of problems.

And to whoever keeps deleting these messages, it's not misinformation, it's the truth, which you'd know if you did some research. Deleting these messages because you don't like them dosen't change that.

User Info: CardTamer

CardTamer - 3 weeks ago
  8. Just because you've never had problems with digital dosen't other people haven't had problems.

User Info: CardTamer

CardTamer - 3 weeks ago

1. I used to be a "I'd rather buy physical and OWN my games" guy, until I started having disc read errors and random glitches due to the physical discs and carts themselves. Then I had kids, which...obviously made it worse, because they scratch, break, and lose discs and carts. After that, all digital and I've never had any issues since.

All that to say that I have literally NEVER had a digital version of a game have any "glitches" or "errors" that weren't in the game code itself, or specific to the digital version and not the physical. I'm not sure what sources or basis you're using on that one, @CardTamer, and I'm not sure how any digital-specific glitches would be possible in a "digital versus physical" comparison.

User Info: CTBradums

CTBradums - 1 month ago 6   7
  2. Go around the the various boards and you'll see many more people having more problems with digital games than physical. When glitches pop up, he first question on most boards is "Is it digital?", simply because digital is more prone to glitches and errors. Physical may have it's own set of problems, but so long as you take care of them, they have a much lower rate of problems.

User Info: CardTamer

CardTamer - 3 weeks ago