Does my save data save on the cartridge?

1. I'm getting a Nintendo Switch for Christmas this year and I have a physical copy of Smash Bros Ultimate and will my save data save on the cartridge or will I need a memory stick for this? I'd hate to have to redo my hard work of unlocking the character roster once I unlock the roster during the holidays.

User Info: BLACKWIDOWFuZe

BLACKWIDOWFuZe - 1 month ago

1. No it does not. Switch game cards are Read Only, so no data is saved onto them. Your save data is always installed to the Switch itself and doesn't take up much space. It is not saved to any inserted SD card, if you put one in there. If you intend to get a Switch Online membership, then your save data will also be automatically uploaded to the cloud every time you turn the game off, so you'll never lose it.

You will not need an additional SD card to save your game, but investing in one is still a good idea to install downloaded updates or any games you get off of the eShop, since the system will prioritize saving that sort of thing to the SD card.

User Info: SmokeRulz

SmokeRulz (Expert) - 1 month ago 2   0
  2. What he said. Cards are basically just like discs, they only have the game data

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251 - 1 month ago
  3. That's very helpful thanks. Sorry if I pressured any of you with this.

User Info: BLACKWIDOWFuZe

BLACKWIDOWFuZe - 1 month ago

1. Your save data is saved onto the Switch's internal storage. If you don't want to waste it, buy a microSD card.

User Info: Ender68

Ender68 (Expert) - 1 month ago 0   2
  2. That's good to hear thanks. Hope I didn't pressure you or anyone else with this.

User Info: BLACKWIDOWFuZe

BLACKWIDOWFuZe - 1 month ago