1. I have a friend who mains Dedede. He's a very trolly, gimmicky person so it suits him well to main him. Anyway, I seem to be having trouble punishing some of ddd's moves that I would assume to be punishable-- f smash for instance, was super punishable in smash 4 but now it seems you can't shield it and punish anymore, ddd's down tilt comes out too quickly. The only way i can punish it is if I'm actually behind ddd. Otherwise the ground hitbox shieldpokes me, the main hitbox breaks my shield, and it catches me in the air if I avoid the ground hitbox. I can't wait it out either because he can just down tilt immediately after. Any advice???

User Info: someangrysmashd

someangrysmashd - 2 months ago

1. Work on your spacing and go above these moves and punish with a landing aerial. Depending on the character you play, you should be able to combo from a landing aerial. I have a hunch you don't fast-fall often since this wasn't the obvious solution. I have a friend who didn't even know fast-falling was in the game.

Of course dash-dancing works too, but you can't act until the end of a dash animation. Therefore, if you only rely on dash-dancing, you will get cornered often or get hit in the middle of a dash often. You can be a little more precise with an overhead aerial approach.

Of course, your opponent will start to read the overhead approach, so mix-up when you approach with some safe dash-dances and retreating fast-fallen jumps (short or full hop depending on the situation). You may also find your opponent approaching your retreating options and leaving themselves wide open for a grab or any kind of punish.

If you get cornered, mix-up between jumping out of shield or rolling out of shield. Aggressive options from the corner are easily countered by good spacing, but I'm not saying they never work.

User Info: HeroponVeryCool

HeroponVeryCool - 4 weeks ago 1   0

Answers

1. A good matchup for me us usually a smaller character, obviously pichu fits the mold, I'm a pac main and that's usually a good matchup for me, just have to throw the melon to break the gordo wall and hit a short hop fair chain. a character with a ranged f-smash would be a great counter. get good at hitting the gordos back and parrying and you'll be able to coutner with any character given you can do those things.

User Info: joe504494

joe504494 - 2 months ago 0   0

2. I find that Palutena does well against Dedede in general. What character do you play? It's kind of hard to give any more specific advice if we don't know.

User Info: rioleo

rioleo - 2 months ago 0   0

3. Grab can easily punish f-smash and lead to free combos as ddd's hitbox is thicc as hell, also you can just back away from his down tilt or shorthop aeriel to get a free hit in and maybe star up a combo. I recommend any character with a character, sword characters can also dance around heavyweight and kill them incredibly early btw. Inkilng is another good choice as downthrow is a great combo starter and can lead to dash attack, f-air dash attack, f-air dash attack then f-smash. My friend also mains DDD so I'm kind of used to playing against him. Oh, and don't forget to hit gordos back as most ddds don't expect it.

User Info: Torusorus

Torusorus - 1 month ago 0   0

4. I'd recommend Young Link. He's smaller and faster than DDD, and his projectile game neutralizes most gordo spamming. U-smash and U-air are also good kill moves against heavy characters with good recovery.

User Info: ABlaster

ABlaster - 1 month ago 0   0

5. DDD's forward smash is easily punishable, e.g Fox's Dash attack, Wolf's run-up shine (you can also time it with shine's invisibility frames), most forward tilts, DK's Side B etc...

User Info: ZoraQC

ZoraQC - 1 month ago 0   0

6. The shield in ultimate is a lot worse than in smash 4 so generally you want to avoid shielding if possible. Ultimate has faster movement so my advice would be rather than shield his fsmash, dash away and punish with a projectle, jump and land with an aerial at the end if you anttcipate the dtilt followup, but in general you should always be on the move

User Info: Deltazero272

Deltazero272 - 4 weeks ago 0   0