Are shinies determined to be shiny before or after encountering?

1. So... if you save your game infront of a pokemon, catch it, restart your game and catch it again, it will be the same pokemon (stats, nature and ability). Now for the shiny part. You can not see if its shiny, only by encountering it. But if you need to heal or go someplace else, you will never know if the hunted pokemon will be shiny or not. Same goes if your standing in the middle of a large grass field with both sides pokemon your hunting for. But if you go left the right side will despawn and vice versa. See the problem here?
    So does anyone know when it will be determined when it will shine?

Thank you :)

User Info: Secrits

Secrits - 1 week ago

1. It seems that pokemon that spawn in the overworld are already determined to be shiny or not according to WodPython.

He said: "They'll appear shiny when you battle them, but symbol encounters on the overworld do NOT appear as shiny initially...Also, once you see it, if you save the game and then reset, it will still be shiny so you won't lose it that way.

That is all."

What this means is when you bike through the wild area from one side to another, the pokemon you pass by could be shiny but you will never know unless you encounter them all along the way.

Now that is something you can think about once you reached your destination. (The pokemon i've passed... could one of them be shiny?)

:)

User Info: Secrits

Secrits - 1 week ago 2   0
  2. So at the end of the day, you answered your own question :)

But thank you, now I know too! ^^

User Info: Axews

Axews - 1 week ago

1. I couldn't find a proof, but, since you said...

"So... if you save your game infront of a pokemon, catch it, restart your game and catch it again, it will be the same pokemon (stats, nature and ability)."

...I think Pokémon's details are determined when it's spawned in the overworld. There's no reason for shininess to be determined separately, in my opinion, but we still need a proof for that.

That's not the case for static encounters like legendaries, who can be soft-reset for nature and other things (but no shininess, 'cause they're shiny-locked).

And if you have a problem with many Pokémon on the field, I have to say this was the case before. In ORAS, for example, there have been special DexNav encounters in rustling grass, and you had to sneak to them. If you went close too fast or a random encounter started, you'll never know if this DexNav one was shiny. It's just better to not think about that :P

Hopes it helped ^^

User Info: Axews

Axews (Expert) - 1 week ago 1   0
  2. "There's no reason for shininess to be determined separately, in my opinion, but we still need a proof for that."

I dont know if its in the coding of the game, but if i want to know if shinies are determined when they spawn in the overworld or when encountered, i need to save my game before each encounter untill shiny, take the risk and restart the game and see if they are still shiny.

I have not found any confirmation of anyone testing this, but im willing to test this myself so i can update this post. :)

User Info: Secrits

Secrits - 1 week ago

1. Shineis can not be seen as shiny when you encounter them in the fields, They will only appear to be shiny when you start the battle, and is only determined to be shiny immeadietly after the battle starts. This is how you can gring resetting to get shiny legendaries and shiny starters.

User Info: Godspawn

Godspawn - 1 week ago 0   0
  2. Just wanted to note starters and legendaries are shiny-locked in SwoShi (as well as few other special Pokémon), so you won't be able to hunt for those by resetting. You can still breed for these who can breed, though.

User Info: Axews

Axews - 1 week ago