Does Felix's Crest Activate When Using Unarmed Combat?

1. Don't have the game with me to check; his Crest specifically states 'with a weapon', which Unarmed Combat seems to preclude, but I'm not certain that's mechanically accurate/really just means 'basic attacks'. Also "Unarmed" should still technically be considered a 'weapon' (a Gauntlet, specifically, as it benefits from Brawling Prowess/Fistfaire/etc.), yeah? Thanks for anyone going back to look into this.

User Info: EdeaCreamer

EdeaCreamer - 2 months ago

1. I also had the thought that equipping the Unarmed 'weapon' should still activate weapon-requiring crests but I didn't actually remember seeing evidence of it. I found evidence of Byleth's Crest of Flames activating with Unarmed Combat on a YouTube video (can't link it here but it's at 2:13 of the video called "Fire Emblem Three House - Brawler vs last boss 1v1") lol.

Unarmed Combat can't use Combat Arts (and it's shown that no CA was used in the video) and it's clear that it was Unarmed Combat and not an attack spell that activated the crest so the only other condition that could be met is the weapon condition for the Crest of Flames.

User Info: Reidog

Reidog (Expert) - 2 months ago 3   1
  2. Actually, for the Crest of flames, it says nothing about being "with a weapon", just "Damage dealt" so a bit unrelatted here ^^"

User Info: Kirua_Zoldieck

Kirua_Zoldieck - 2 months ago
  3. There are 3 forms of attacks: weapons, Combat Arts, and attack magic

Crests that activate on attacks, activate because of these conditions.

When the conditions and activation rates of crests were datamined, it was shown that the Crest of Flames had all 3 of these conditions and its description on SerenesForest still reflects this: "Restores HP equal to 30% of damage dealt when using weapons, combat arts or attack magic. Also has a roughly 1 in 4 chance to raise Might by 5 and prevent counterattacks."

Maybe you can argue and provide evidence for Unarmed Combat behaving like a Combat Art and not a weapon, but what you've said is incorrect Kirua_Zoldieck and Elementalninjam.

Yikes people are quick to just downvote and claim you're wrong without evidence lol.

User Info: Reidog

Reidog - 2 months ago
  4. The FE gods didn't want me to spend anymore time on this nonsense so they made Felix's crest activate twice with Unarmed on the first enemy I tried it with rofl.

I'll make a thread on the board with the screenshot in case anyone is still doubtful.

Please stop spreading misinformation like this:

Actually, for the Crest of flames, it says nothing about being "with a weapon", just "Damage dealt" so a bit unrelatted here ^^" Kirua_Zoldieck

The Crest of Flames does not have a weapon condition - it can activate off of any attack that deals damage. This could be unarmed, with a weapon, magic, or a Combat Art. Elementalninjam

User Info: Reidog

Reidog - 2 months ago
  5. Misinformation? Did I claimed to know if it was true or not? I just claimed that since it wasn't the same description, the Crest of Fire was NOT usable to say if it was possible or not for the crest of Fraldarius.

"Yikes people are quick to just downvote and claim you're wrong without evidence lol."

And you're quick to assume that I was saying that it was wrong, so...? But since you saw Felix activating his crest with unarmed, fine by me but once again, I never said it wasn't possible, just that Using the Crest of Fire as "proof" wasn't a good idea since not same description, not same usage.

User Info: Kirua_Zoldieck

Kirua_Zoldieck - 2 months ago
  6. Well hey, thanks for going out and finding that! Egg on my face.

User Info: Elementalninjam

Elementalninjam - 2 months ago

1. No, it requires a weapon - the distinction is weapon or no weapon, not "basic attacks" and non-basic attacks. Otherwise, "basic" magic attacks would proc things like the Crests of Fraldarius and Aubin, and they do not.

Things like Brawling Prowess and Fistfaire aren't triggered by having a Gauntlet weapon equipped (as in your example), but when the unit is brawling. Brawling would include having an actual weapon equipped AND brawling while unarmed. That's the distinction.

User Info: Elementalninjam

Elementalninjam - 2 months ago 1   1
  2. Well, I cannot answer for sure about Felix crest, sorry :/

What I DO know however is the fact that indeed, "Unarmed" is affected by Fistfaire, Brawling prowess and so on. However, you cannot use gauntlets skills unarmed. Seems Legit, it would be a bit TOO easy to have a weapon that can use skills without drawback.

User Info: Kirua_Zoldieck

Kirua_Zoldieck - 2 months ago 0   1