Review by Toad King

Reviewed: 08/02/04

This game deserves a sequel, or at least a remake

Ah, Uniracers. I remember once when I played that game for hours on end. Even with the simplistic controls and somewhat repetitive gameplay, I'm still hooked to it even to this day.

For the reader's sake, I split the review into three sections:

LOOKS (Graphics and Sound): 8/10
The graphics in this game were quite good for a SNES game. With the high speeds and sudden changes in directions, the camera almost aways kept up. (Except for those times you go around the loop sections perfectly.) I also liked the, well, I can't really describe the genre of music in the game. I guess a cross between techno and rock. I sometimes find myself humming the main menu tune to myself every once in a while. But overall, the looks were good, but not the best on the SNES.

FEEL (Control): 10/10
This is where the game gets it's high points. You only use the D-Pad to go left and right, the B button to jump, the L and R solder buttons to flip, and the X and Y buttons to twist. The controls are so simple, yet you have to practice timing your jumps and flips for months on end. This is especially essential for the stunt course. Do the same move over and over, the points you get for it drop fast. But if you can string together a giant combo, your score can jump faster than you realize it. Basically, the game forces you to master these controls to get through the game.

FUN FACTOR (Story and Gameplay): 8/10
Don't expect any story line here. I used to have the game manual a couple of years back, and I don't remember the story well at all. I think it had something to do with a Super-Uni, or something. Anyway, the story sucks (I remember that much) and is completely unnecessary. The gameplay, though, is a little above par. You basically race your way though 9 "worlds", beating the 5 tracks in each one (two circuit tracks, two point-to-point tracks, and one stunt track) and then beating it again with a harder CPU. Also, you can set up your own little racing leagues and challenge your friends with the game keeping records for your league. I found this mode (once unlocking all the worlds) the best part of the game. That is, if you have friends.

OVERALL: 9/10
A good game to pick-up and play, and an even better game to invite friends over to play with.