Review by Lethargy

Reviewed: 11/01/99 | Updated: 11/01/99

Fast, and a whole lot of fun

Uniracers was released near the end of the SNES's days. I was instantly turned off the game by it's awful commercial, which featured some hep dudes spewing some retard extreme sports lingo while playing the game. However, I was eventually forced into playing it. You see, the Blockbuster nearest to me had rented out Chrono Trigger again, and I was aching for something to play, so I decided to pick it up. I took it home and was pleasantly surprised.

Story - You are some kind of seemingly sentient unicycles. It's a racing game, so that's about as much plot as you can get in a racing game.

Graphics - After my initial scoffing at the seemingly horrible graphics in the TV commercial, it turns out that once you're actually playing the game, they're not all that bad at all. They certainly are simple, but that definitely benefits the game in the long run, as it runs at a fast smooth clip.

Sound - Average music, average sounds. Honestly though, sound is the least important aspect in this game.

Game play - here's where it gets great. The courses are long and complicated with turns in every feasible direction. There are tons of stunts, all of which give you speed bonuses. As for the speed, it's really pretty fast at times, I was amazed the SNES could pump this out. Also, the variety of levels is very nice, apart from straight races there are also pure stunt events and 2D races that rely on pulling stunts during the race to beat your opponent. 2 player mode and the ability to save something like 16 or 20 racers are also nice touches.

On a whole, Uniracers is a really good game. Buy it used or rent it repeatedly, it's a lot of fun.