Review by Xi

Reviewed: 09/18/01 | Updated: 12/21/01

The fast paced racing and stunt game like no other

This game is very unique and exceptional. Basically at first glance it is a side scrolling racing game, but it just feels like so much more. It delivers great gameplay and is visually stunning.

In Uniracers, you find yourself controlling a unicycle, a one-wheeled bike. You travel along a track of different colors, in which different strips on the track can mean different things coming up ahead. While racing you can do stunts, which include flips, rolls, and twists, to increase your Uniracer's speed.

This game also lets you play against a friend, in which the screen is split so you can see where you both are. It is always fun to be racing along the track and pass your friend. Your Uniracer even looks back at them when you pass them.

Anyway, I shall get onto the review.

This game has great gameplay. It is basic and easy for beginners to learn how to play, but then once you learn how to do more and more tricks or how to do tricks faster, the game gets more fun, since tricks give you speed. Also there are tracks in which all you have to do is stunts and you get points for them.

I believe there is some sort of story that is behind this game, something about a world in which it is populated only by unicycles that race or something like that, but I don't really know what the story is. It is a racing game, though, and it does not really require a story for it to be fun.

The graphics are all right. I mean they are not very special or anything, but the use of color is great in this game and it keeps it visually stunning by looking at the different colors of the track and of the background.

The music in this game doesn't get boring at all. It is mostly upbeat and keeps you interested in the racing. The sound overall is great, and it works well with the game.

Reply: 6/10
This is where the game looses it touch. It just doesn't have that great of a reply value. I mean it is enjoyable, but once you have gone through all of the tracks, and understand about the use of color, it becomes not too hard to do. I find myself coming back to this game a couple of times a year, though, so that is why I gave it a score that I did. I find it more fun when I have forgotten how most of the tracks go and about the colors and I attempt to remember it all again.

OVERALL: 8/10
Overall I like this game very much. I mostly make my overall conclusion by looking at the reply value, gameplay, and how I just enjoy the game. Reply value is a very important thing to me because it tells me how much I like a game if I want to come back and play it more, especially after I have beaten it. I gave this game an eight overall since I find myself coming back to it a couple of times a year, and I believe it to be a fun and easy game to learn. I also enjoy it for all of its qualities and the use of color in the game. It is visually stunning, but not so much in a graphical sense as in a way of the use of color in the game. I would suggest anyone to try it out at least even if you don't like racing games!