Review by MantleNotMouse

Reviewed: 10/20/02 | Updated: 10/20/02

Another game in my favorite fighting series of all time...

Mortal Kombat. Those two words were used more than any by me as a kid. My friends and I were always having our own little tournaments in the Mortal Kombat games. Everyone's reaction when a fatality was done was great, and those are some of the times that I'll never forget. Mortal Kombat introduced me into the fighting game genre. It was the first step into years of playing games where the objective was to eliminate your opponent. In actuality, Mortal Kombat is more than a fighting game. Mortal Kombat has deep story lines behind it, involving Gods, Realms, and other mythological things. The tournament itself is to determine the ruler of Earth. To go into details would practically require an essay. Mortal Kombat is one of those games where you pick on character and stick with it, learning all of their moves. I've been perfecting my skills with Sub-Zero ever since Mortal Kombat One. Now, many games later, I've gotten really good with him. Mortal Kombat is probably my favorite game series of all time.

Gameplay: The gameplay in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is excellent. The controls are so simple, yet so tough to master. The computer AI is actually challenging, and occasionally gets the better of you. Button combinations are used for trademark moves, like Sub-Zero's freeze and Scorpion's spear, and fatalities. The combinations vary from character to character, which keeps things from becoming dull. Unlike other fighting games, you never know when a move is coming. Nobody yells out the move's name, or anything. If you're versing someone like Sektor, than beware, a teleport uppercut can have you on the verge of losing. The gameplay in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is perfect. I can't think of anything I would change.

Gameplay Rating: 10/10

Graphics: The graphics are awesome, considering what console they're using. You can make out Liu Kang's muscles, and the spear Scorpion throws has a realistic rope, not just a brown sting. The backgrounds and scenarios are simply awesome. In one stage, the fire and brimstone is extremely detailed. Shang Tsung's skull toss produces a perfect skull, set ablaze by flames. All of the fatalities and moves are smooth, and flow well. All twenty four of the characters are excellently designed, and appear almost real during the fights. The seven stages are also highly detailed. The graphics are stunning, especially for a Super Nintendo game.

Graphics Rating: 10/10

Sound: The sound is rather weak. Other than the groans and grunts from the fighters, all we get is Shao Kahn saying ''Fatality'' and about five more phrases. This is probably the weakest point of the game. Some of the sound is rather good though, such as Scorpion's trademark ''Get over here''. Other parts of it, like Liu Kang's girlish attempt at a Bruce Lee impression, can make you wish you had muted the TV before the round. Like most things, it has some weak points, and some strong.

Sound Rating: 6/10

Story: As I mentioned before, there is a very detailed story to Mortal Kombat. I'll touch on the main points, but like I said, going into detail would require an essay. As stated above, the fighters are in a tournament to determine the ruler of Earth. If Shao Kahn's forces win, Earth gets turned over to the Outworld. If any of the men from Earth win, Earth goes on as it is. Sure, it's a stretch of imagination, but then again, I like science fiction. Each character, from Liu Kang to Reptile, has their own story line. That's what's so interesting about it, there are so many different outcomes. In my opinion, this is one part of the game that's strong, no matter how you look at it.

Story Rating: 10/10

Replay ability: If you're a fan of fighting games, you're definitely going to be playing this game for a while. With different difficulties, and different modes, there are many different ways to draw you back in for more. If you have some friends to play against, then it's even better. I used to have a few friends over, and we'd play all night, just for bragging rights. You've never known true bliss until you can say ''Ha ha! I ripped your head off!'' Arcades around here used to hold tournaments using this game. A room full of teenagers, hell-bent on beating the crap out of each other. Pretty cool, indeed. The replay ability is excellent, not unlike the game itself.

Replay ability Rating: 9/10

Buy it or Rent it first? If you can find a Super Nintendo game somewhere, go ahead and buy it. I know for a fact that nowhere would have it to rent. Basically, it's up to you. Good luck finding it.