Review by Shirow

Reviewed: 03/06/02 | Updated: 11/09/02

Not so foxy

StarFox is a flight simulation with everything taking place in a polygonal world. The ground, the sky, the buildings, and of course, the other planes, are all polygonal. As you set out from your base after getting used to the controls with the short Training, you can then roam in this world and take down anything at your leisure. That's what StarFox really consists of, just shooting and avoiding your opponent's bullets. Of course, there are certain objectives but these are easy and not really innovating.

As I already mentioned, StarFox is polygon-full. Obviously, this would imply that the game has very good graphics but things don't really look great. The game may enjoy a unique presentation but there are also a lot of flaws which really annoyed me. Whenever you decide to fly at the maximum level, the everything just looks weird. And you'll certainly feel the full effect of it when you crash into a tower -well, what is supposed to be a tower in the game, of course-.

The enemy planes look weird in certain cases too and perspective doesn't change anything here. There are a lot of ugly patches that really prevent me from considering StarFox so good graphically like many people around me. Yes, the visuals are good but don't exaggerate !

The sound is okay but falls short in certain areas and the shots and bombs have disgustingly common sound effects. The most annoying part is the sound effects of your partners talking whenever they have something important to tell you or they just want to break a silence which did not even exist in the first place. The characters in the game may be animals but seeing as how they are pilot, at least give them some decent voices, not just 'GROUMPH HOUBA GARGLLL'.

But the worst thing is, without doubt, the controls which could have turned my hair white if I hadn't been careful. Firstly, your plane occasionally tilts and goes off in any direction whenever it feels like it. Now, just consider how infuriating this may be when this happens as you're flying by a tower which you took pain to avoid by tapping the directional buttons until you thought you'd pass as unscratched. The fact that the controls are not very responsive either makes this even worse.

I really wanted to like this game and eventually, managed to put this fault behind me to enjoy it. However, the hellish difficulty quickly had me cursing at everything, even the Select button which is not even used in the first place. The screen can be completely flooded with opponents at time and trying to avoid the wave of bullets that comes trying at you is tough with the controls. As a matter of fact, you will probably start swearing too while playing StarFox.

This makes the game tedious and takes away all the funfactor and replay value. Some levels are so enemy-packed you don't even know what the hell is going on and you'll just have to rely on your tapping skills and hope that everything goes well. As a matter of fact, most of the game will be like this, so be warned that you probably will not enjoy this game.

I already didn't enjoy the game when it came out and you can just guess how it fares now. Besides all the flaws and negative aspect, StarFox also has not been able to stand the test of time and has even become quite boring and uninteresting. Overall, you will maybe have some fun and be able to get a kick out of it during the first levels but for how long ? You'd be better renting it or, at least, playing it before deciding if you indeed want to buy it.

-- Score : 3 --