Review by Ofisil

Reviewed: 10/21/13

Big, three dimensional deal...

I never did understand what was so damn good about this game that it created such a strong fan base. Okay, I’ve seen a lot of cult classics in my time, but even when I didn’t like a game I would be able to understand why some people like it… at least to a certain extent. Star Fox though… I don’t FREAKING know!

Replay Value: 1/10

Star Fox is by all means just a simple shooter, where you shoot your bullets towards your enemies while avoiding theirs… and that is it. There is no innovation here, nothing special or worthy of mention, this is just a plain flight simulator where you shoot stuff… it’s just 3D. While you would thing that a 3D game in our humble SNES would be marvelous it isn’t, because not only it doesn’t introduce anything knew but it’s also quite flawed. First as levels go by you won’t be able to make out what’s going on in the screen. Everything apart from the background is polygonal but extremely simplistic making it hard at times to understand who is your enemy and who is your ally, it’s hard to avoid bullets and it’s hard to see what you are hitting with your weapon. Another problem with the game lies in the controls. While they are easy, they are a tad “slippery” and nonresponsive, making it extremely hard to keep your spaceship steady or control it with absolute precision. The thing about Star Fox though is that even without these problems it’s just a boring game. You just shoot stuff and I can guarantee that it’s no fun at all. Furthermore while we have 3 paths with different levels to choose from nothing really changes or adds to the replay value.

Graphics: 6.8/10
Design: 6.2/10
Sound: 6.5/10
Music: 7.2/10

Does the score trouble you? Well, no matter what people have told you, or what YOU might think… the graphics of the game are somewhere between average and good. They are certainly not bad, but they also aren’t the “BEST GRAPHIKS EVAAAR!!!” like most people think. The game uses the famous Super FX chip in order to create real 3D models, but no matter how excited does the idea of three dimensions in a SNES make you, it doesn’t mean that it exactly looks good… The 3D models are VERY simple objects, usually with less than 15 polygons, resulting in some average looking and devoid of any personality scenes, where distant enemies are just a bunch of ugly pixels and buildings just a bunch of large boxes that look out of place since, the otherwise nice background is a good ol’ 2D image. Furthermore, there will be many times where you won’t be able to tell what is what or where your bullets land. The sound effects are pretty stock, but fortunately the music is a lot better although, like the rest of the game, nothing really special.

[+]:
-…

[-]:
-Boring gameplay
-Flawed controls
-3D + SNES don’t mix

Also Play:
Ace Combat 2 (Playstation)
Star Fox 64 (N64)

Overall: 5.4/10

By all means a very boring game of no importance other than the “3D in SNES” gimmick. Just leave this game to collect dust and put your good ol’ Super Mario World or Legend Of Zelda cartridge in to have fun.

Product Release: Star Fox (US, 03/31/93)