Review by Doodleheimer

Reviewed: 11/02/01 | Updated: 05/20/02

Killer Instinct - Also a disease that may develop after playing the game

I never really understood the combo system in this game. It’s just too hard to learn, and too bland. Many love it, but I never got it, and I’ve been playing this game since it came out. The game, although, is a somewhat good fighter. It retains all the basic elements of a 2D fighter, and not much more, if it weren’t for the combo system, this would be a blatant rip-off of Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter, and we don’t want that. The game has a high level of difficulty to it, which puts even more of a damper on it.

The moves are kinda hard to pull off, and take a helluva lot of practice to perfect, and I don’t think it’s really worth it. The practice mode is somewhat good, but you’ll probably never be able to get the moves right. I wouldn’t put in the effort I was you, which I don’t think I am.

The graphics are pretty good, but are not very memorable. They look a bit blocky, and it kinda resembles messy polygons on a good hand-drawn background. And some of the moves look too over-the-top, which is also unneeded, because it makes the game look worked on in some areas and makes the rest look like a beta version of the game. The characters are too plain, and most developers would obviously put those characters in a game.

The soundtrack is pretty sweet, but doesn’t really fit the game well. It’s upbeat, which is definitely not the style of the game. The sound effects are just plain average, and I really didn’t care for them. They take the crappy sound effects from other fighters and put them in here.

The game is pretty fun, but not addicting at all. I didn’t want to play this game at all after a while, and unless you’re a huge fan of fighters, you probably won’t want to either. Trust me on this one, folks.

Score Rundown-

Value-7/10
Originality-5/10
Difficulty-7/10

Score-58/100

Overall-6/10

Doodleheimer’s Recommendationitivity-

The game can be found for two bucks, which is a good buy if you’re into fighting game. Not a fighter fan? Don’t bother on it unless there’s nothing better there to buy. It’s not hard to miss this game either. It’s fairly common and it’s like, the only SNES cart that’s black.

Street Price-$1.99