Review by Isamu64

Reviewed: 09/17/01 | Updated: 09/17/01

Killer Instinct is the BEST fighter on SNES

I must say that I am absolutely appalled at how many people have bashed this game in their reviews. I purchased this game right when it came out and it is still one if not the best 2D fighter I have ever played.

Graphics: This game has amazing graphics for the SNES, everything was pre-rendered and then made more simplistic so that the SNES could handle it. The characters are animated smoothly and are fairly detailed as well. The backgrounds have a sort of pseudo 3D look to them that was really impressive at the time. One of the best looking SNES games.

Gameplay: Obviously the most important part of any game, KI has spot on controls, special moves are easy to do. The meat of the game is the combo system, this is where most people either love or hate the game. Each character has several different combos that he/she can pull off, you have to use different button combinations to pull off a successful combo. At first its pretty hard to get used to, but eventually you'll be doing Ultra Combos with ease. The AI can be very irritating on the harder difficulty levels, but I haven't EVER seen a fighting game that doesn't resort to being cheap when you're on the hardest settings. Even Soul Calibur generally thought of as the best 3D fighter to date can be fairly cheap and annoying. After a couple weeks playing this game, I had blisters on my thumb, that's how much you have to manipulate the controller to pull of some combos.

Sound: Good, I really can't complain about any of it. This is the one area that I really don't care to much about unless its absolutely horrible. Keep in mind that this is the SNES, so don't expect to be blown away by the sound.

Final: Anybody that is remotely interested in fighting games owes it to them selves to at least try this game out, most people either love or hate it because of the heavy use of combos. Personally, I think this is the best fighter on the SNES and one of the best fighters period. BUY it, even if you don't like it, somebody will and you can sell your copy to them.

Note: normally I wouldn't give a game a perfect score because no game is perfect, but I felt I needed to even out the score between negative and positive reviews of this game.