Review by Golddragongt

Reviewed: 08/11/01 | Updated: 08/11/01

Good Depending on Your Preference

I found it amusing to see some of the bad mouthing of the game. My opinion is based on playing using the actual cartridge(i.e. the SNES console itself).

Video: 7/10

Not bad. The only problem is that there are a few ''duller'' stages. You will see what I mean. I don't know what it looks like on an emulator, but on my TV, it looks fine. But not something to kill myself over. You should not have a problem with the video unless you are looking at Tekken 3 graphics. Then you may be a bit disappointed.

Audio: 8/10

Audio music is great. I think some of the music by itself is repetitive and not worth listening to. However, the music in the background of the fighting is perfect because of the mood. There is a huge variety of sounds in the game, perfectly placed for mood and stages. I get the full value from my TV. I don't know about the emulators though.

This actually is the hottest spot. First, the difficulty. This game is difficult. I think the ''Practice Mode'' is very useful. The game can be horribly difficult if you are used to button mashing. You cannot button mash. This game is well balanced. You cannot be cheap at this game(actually you can, but those are extreme cases). The reason is there are moves that will always counter your opponents moves, even the ''cheap'' ones. Those of you who disagree, I think you are playing the game on an emulator. Or you are a total newbie. Riptor, for example, has a tail sweep. It has quite a range so a way out of the ''sweep'' is to jump. Riptor was designed to it has a harder time countering air attacks. Stronger and tougher, harder to execute specials. I won't give away why, but trust me on this. The game is well balanced.
Control is an interesting point. I doubt you can play with a keyboard. I never tried an emulator, but I bet it sucks. The moves are hard to execute on a pad. It takes time to master the moves, and you will not be able to use the keyboard. So for those of you who want to try this on your ZSNES, *big news*, I bet you will find some problems. I hope you have a fast CPU...

Replayability: 7/10

Here is where some of it may lose, even for me. One player mode is only useful for practice. I suggest that unless you are going to play this with another person, you forget about replayability. Actually, most of the fun is with another person so solo emulator players may lose out the fun on this.

To Buy Or To Rent: Don't buy because you probably will want the Playstation fighters. Rent: it takes a while to master. How in the world are you going to rent?
Emulation Notes: Go ahead and try it. But I bet you won't like it.

Final Verdict: 8/10