Review by Miklotov Blue

Reviewed: 07/08/01 | Updated: 07/08/01

The only TRUTHFUL review at GameFAQs on KI. Enjoy.

Before you read this, take a moment to read some of the other ''so-called'' reviews of this game. They make it sound like a piece of trash, a very smelly one. You people make me sick. If you would recall that this game came out a few months before Mortal Kombat 3, you would realize that this game is hands-down the greatest fighter of the time! The combo system is the best one in ANY fighting game today, the graphics were top-notch for the time, and the challenge of this game at 6-stars is not frustrating, but an ACTUAL CHALLENGE.

Graphics- 10
''Sweat the details.'' Akklaim Sports. Well it looks like the details were sweat very well in this game also. Down to the last auto-double, this game looked and moved with top-notch precision.

Sound- 10
In comparison to the 1 or 2 good themes that MK3 had, this game has a sweet one for each stage. On top of that, the game comes with a bonus CD with some cheesy tracks, but some awesome ones as well. Cinder's theme is my personal favorite, on the game AND CD.

Gameplay- 10+
Don't even argue with me. If you can't get the gameplay to function correctly with this game then you must be a total newbie. All 10 fighters have varying styles of combat. Sabrewulf/TJ Combo's styles are for beginners, Jago/Thunder is for the intermediate, and Spinal/Fulgore is for the advanced & elite. Along with the mind-blowing hundreds upon hundreds of combos possible in this game, there's also juggles, air doubles, dash reversals, projectile counters, pop-ups, post-combo breakers (a supercharged special move useable after breaking a combo), and my personal favorite, Press/Release moves which allow you to speed up a move or supercharge the ender of a combo to jack up your score. Danger Moves, Ultra/Ultimate Combos, and the always-funny Humiliation dances allow you to finish your opponent with style (whatever style that may be).

Challenge- 10
Depending on your skill level, set the game from 1 star to 6 stars and work your way up the ladder to Eyedol. 1 star is rather easy, and 6 stars will give you the time of your life. The AI is very smart in this game, and to beat it on 6-stars, you can't use the same 15-hit combo over and over. Mixing it up is a necessity.

Replay Value- 10+++
It's 2001. I bought this game in '97 for the lovely price of 30 bucks and I'm still playing it. And when you own games like Tekken 3, Tekken Tag and Soul Calibur, it gives me pride to say that I still play Killer Instinct.

Overall- 10
Without a doubt, the best fighter on SNES, and one of my favorites of all-time. The only flaw in this game is that it requires you to practice a lot- learn how to pull off your Killer combos with relative ease, time your combo breakers with precision, memorize auto-doubles and enders to mix things up in a big match, and most importantly, improvise when it comes to making on-the-spot combos. I've got my own little 7-hitter with Jago which uses nothing but the Fierce Punch button called the ''Head Hunter.'' Down + FP, Laser Blade, Down + FP, Laser Blade, Down + FP. It's actually mad difficult to pull off but very satisfying when you do.

Bottom line- Find this game for 20 bucks or less and buy it. You'll have a wonderful time.