Review by PhildotheGreat

Reviewed: 10/11/00 | Updated: 10/11/00

A good fighter for its time...

I remember when I first rented Killer Instinct a few years ago with my friend. We stayed up all night playing it. Then when I got in bed I thought about the game all night. I recently played it however, and it is just dated, not much else to say.

Gameplay=> For the most part, the gameplay is pretty good. It's a fighting game so of course it has single player where you fight in a tournament and two-player where you challenge your friends. This game was one of the first of its kind to have combos. Another new move was the combo breaker. If your opponent starts beating you down you can just do a combo breaker on his ass. If you play through single player, however, this can be a blessing or nightmare. The final boss, Eyedol I think, does a combo breaker practically every time you do a combo on him. But on the same note, It's saved me many times on some of the early rounds. Two player is kool because of the varieties of combos and characters. All the characters have different finishers and the main characters have signature levels. On a few of the levels you can knock them out of the ring and they will fall to hit a car or a bridge! There are also ultra combos and ultimate combos which you can tie a combo in with a finishing move or do a massive 22-23 hit combo.

Story=> There are stories behind each character, but it's been so long since I've known them. Basically there is a major corporation sponsoring the tournament. Each of the characters has his or her own reason for entering the tournament, whether it's a beef with the corporation or one of the other fighters.

Audio/Video=> There are a few different sounds for hits, when the characters take hits or block, and projectiles. There's also this wierd little sound when you revive your character at the end of a battle (if you are lucky). It's kind of wierd when you knock your opponent off a ring and they make moaning noises that don't really go with the falling, but nothing real bad. It is a Super NES game, and back in the day it was pretty good, graphics wise. Detailed characters and backgrounds both. But by todays standards, it just doesn't cut it.

Replayability=> Maybe it's because I haven't played it in a while, but I have been playing it a lot lately with Ed (the Moogle). I think two player is fun, just mashing the buttons, comboing each other back and forth. So, it has some replay.

Overall=> Overall the game is pretty good, even better for a few years ago when it came out. But the game is just dated and can't really compete with new fighting games. I still think the classics never die, and if I didn't have it and found it used, I would buy it. Probably super cheap too.