Review by tanookimario

Reviewed: 10/31/06

One of the greatest baseball games I've ever played...

One of the greatest baseball games I’ve ever played…

I’m a big fan of baseball. I watch just about every baseball game I can find, so I know how everything in a baseball game/ simulation works. To me, Ken Griffey Junior Baseball is one of the greatest baseball games I’ve played to date.

In this game, you can do just about everything you can do in MLB. You can choose where you want to stand in the batter’s box, you can dive for catches, steal bases, play in all-star games and the homerun derby, play in the world series…I mean anything!

In the all-star game, you can pick which league you want, American or National. When you pick a league, you use your leagues best players against the other leagues best players, which is pretty fun. The homerun derby is a contest to see who hits more homeruns. You can choose from a weak hitter who barely hits any homeruns, a normal hitter that hits an adequate amount of homeruns, and a power hitter who hits a lot of homeruns. Once you pick a player, you pick your opponent from the other league to play, and you’ll face off in a home run derby. You and your opponent have to hit as many homeruns as you can hit with only a minimum of ten “outs” before you finish.
You can also change settings, like if you want auto fielders in case you don’t feel like fielding, or all you want to do for that game is hit. You can also change whether you want a marking to where the ball is going to hit or not. If you turn it off, then you’ll really be giving yourself a challenge in trying to pinpoint where the ball is going to land. You can also turn the music on or off, which leads me to my next category…

Music 7/10
I gave his an average rating because the music in this game is just about one never-ending loop of the same song. Its actually a song that you really cannot get sick of, but if you do, there’s always the option to turn it off, so it can be an easily solved problem. There are other songs, like “Take me out to the ballgame” but that’s only played during the seventh inning stretch of each game, so its pretty minor.

Difficulty: 7/10
I find that after you master a baseball game, it can become the easiest game to win in, and it’ll get to the point where you feel like you could beat the computer, even with your eyes closed. This game is no different. Its pretty hard at first, but once you get a good hang of it, it becomes fairly easy.

Replay Value: 9/10
Ken Griffey Jr. is one of those games that you can pick up and start playing right away, no matter how long its been since you last played it. Also, if your starting a new game, you can choose a 162 game schedule to play on. If you think that’s a lot of games, then you can cut it in half and play a 78 game schedule. Is that still too much!? Make it 26 games and that should be short enough. Not only can you fix how many games you play, but you can pick any Major League (that was existing at that time) to play as. So if you’ve been playing in the American League, and your getting bored of using the DH, then pick a National League team to play as so you can have the pitcher batting, to spice it up a little.

Conclusion:
All in all, this is a terrific game, and is one of the greatest baseball games I’ve ever played.

Final score (not an average) 9/10