Review by Braben

Reviewed: 01/11/04

Rock solid.

Taito is one of those great companies like Hudson Soft, Natsume, or Sunsoft, that use to make very good titles but never get the recognition they deserve. This game is a prove of it, a great platform game very similar to the first Flintstones game for Nes, (which was made by Taito too), and which was very good by the way.

Gameplay: 9/10:
Like the above mentioned Taito’s Flintstones games, this one is a platform adventure, but with a little twist that makes it very interesting.
On each world we start on a board (think Mario Party), and then we have to drop a dice, depending of the number we get we will advance squares, and each square is a different stage. We will have to switch between Fed and Barney, once Fred’s turn is finished it will be Barney’s, and so on until you reach the last part of the scenario where a big boss will await us. Later in the game some boards will have bonus squares, but also little obstacles, for example you will have to obtain a certain number in your dices or you will reach a wrong area in the board and you will have to replay some levels in order to return to the right path and things like that, it is very nice addition, specially if you are competing with a friend to see who wins, because we have a two player option.

In each stage we will have to avoid or kill enemies with our clubs, obtain stars to win lives, etc, everything very typical but well done. The differences between Fred and Barney are non existent, that is the only little complaint I have here.

The two players mode is excellent, because you can compete with fiends to see who reaches the end of each stage first and things like that, it is really fun.

This game is also very, very long, there aren’t that many boards (or worlds), but each has a lot of stages.

Story:
The great leader of the Water Buffaloes is going to retire, and to choose the new leader he has decided that the first one to obtain the legendary treasure Sierra Madrock will be his successor. As Fred wants to become the leader, he starts to look for the treasure with the help of his best friend Barney.

Excellent, big, colourful, and detailed. Simply perfect for a platform game, with nice animations and vibrant backgrounds.

Music: 8/10:
The music is very funny, very catchy, the way it should be. If we only talk about platformers, this one has some of the best music I have heard for the genre.

As a result:
The Flintstones: Treasure of Sierra Madrock is an excellent platform game, it is very well done, long, nice looking, and very fun, if you like these kind of games this is one an excellent choice. Yaba Daba Doo!!!

”My lack of vocabulary and grammatical errors (if there’s any) are because I’m not from an English speaking country, sorry about that.”