Review by rpgmaster87

Reviewed: 05/05/02 | Updated: 05/05/02

This game brings back a lot of great childhood memories

Darius Twin...A true classic. Produced by Taito, Darius Twin is the 4th installment to the Darius series. Revealed to the public in 1991, this game has certainly left a mark in my past. Despite having many other, more well known competitors (such as Gradius 3 and Super R-Type), Darius Twin was, and still is, one of the best. It was wrongfully overlooked by most people.

The gameplay in Darius Twin is really quite simple. It is a traditional side scroller in the likes of Gradius. But it is not anywhere near the same as Gradius. Instead of picking your weapons and options, they are upgraded through a pod which you get after shooting a row of certain enemies. You have your main front-shooting gun, and also your option, which shoots out diagonally. Aside from that, you have your ''blow up everything on screen'' powerup and a powerup which will change your type of main weapon. Other than that, it's another traditional side-scroller of its time.

Control: 9/10
Nothing hard. Hold down two buttons and move. I really wish that Taito would have put in the option to have one button shoot both weapons, e.g. a control option. It does kinda get annoying after a while, holding down the Y and B button.

The one main thing that made this game stand out from the other side scrollers is its graphics. It was more advanced than the other SNES shooters. It had an 8 Mbit cartridge, unlike most others which had 4 Mbit. Everything is very detailed, and I liked its Genesis-esque backgrounds.

Simply put: Excellent. Darius Twin had one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard for a shooter. Thanks to Taito for putting in a sound test option. The only reason I gave it a 9 is because the SFX for the explosions were kind of lacking.

Replay value: 8/10
Even after I beat this game for the first time, I couldn't stop playing it. It also has a two player mode, which makes it more challenging since you have to ''share'' the powerups. I still find myself coming back to this game after 10 years of playing it.

Overall, I give it a 9 out of 10. Although Taito is currently not operating in the US anymore, I would love to see a new Darius game for GBA. It might not sell well but I for one would buy it. I got this game for $6.99. It was well worth the buy. If you like Gradius, R-Type, and other games of the sort, get this game.