Review by nduffy1

Reviewed: 01/05/10

Terrible Sequel

Bubsy II is a terrible sequel. After playing the first Bubsy, I couldn't wait to play the second. When I was younger it was one of my favorite games, so I knew the second one would have obviously blew my mind even more. The problem is, I was wrong.

The gameplay of Bubsy II is a joke. I owned both the Super Nintendo, and Sega Genesis version, and it still seemed laggy for me. Unlike the original, the objective in this game is to randomly roam around in a big level to find a marble/sphere thing. That's when you complete the level and move on to the next. What ever happened to straight-foward platformer Bubsy, where at the end there was a giant yarn ball? And since Bubsy can take more than one hit, it is less difficult.

From reading around other reviews and getting details from websites, I learned that there is this pig named Oinker (how original), and he is building a museum by stealing parts of history with his time machine. Bubsy stumbles in and tries to stop him. That's pretty lame in my opinion, but it isn't terrible.

The graphics aren't too bad in this game. They are at least colorful and animated. The only problems are that some of the levels like stale and ugly. The sprite of Bubsy himself dosen't look too bad. I think that the graphics are one of the only positives of the game, even though they aren't too good.

The music in this game makes me want to cry. What ever happened to the good ol' tunes like they had in the previous game? And the sound effects are annoying and pathetic. Nice attempt, if you can call it an attempt.

Replay Value: 1/10
The game was pretty short in my opinion and I found it lame. I didn't enjoy it at all in the first run, so I wouldn't dare try to replay it. It is a terrible game, and made my hopes for a Bubsy sequel ruined. Let's not even talk about the 3rd in the series..

So as my last note on this game, don't pick it up. Don't even borrow it, or even if you can find it for $2.00 at a store that sells classic games, don't even add it to your collection unless you are a serious game fan. This game is garbage, and if you are looking for a better game, why not play the first Bubsy?

Rating:   1.5 - Bad

Product Release: Bubsy II (US, 10/31/94)