Review by eolsen

Reviewed: 01/13/06

A worthwhile SNES platformer

Addams Family Values was a forgotten gem as Rydain said. He is exactly right. During my child years, I spent a lot of my time playing this game. It is an action game that has a mix of puzzle, strategy, and adventure mixed in with it. If you come across this game I advise you get it because though it may cause some frustration, it is still a great game.

In this game, the evil Debby Jelinsky has married into the Addams family hoping to get rich and knock off her knew husband. Fester proved to be harder to knock off than she though so Debby kidnapped the newest edition in the Addams family, baby Pubert. A ransom note demands Fester to sign over half the Addams Family estate or they will never see Baby Pubert again. But Gomez and Fester have tracked Debbie to a deserted mansion just outside of town. Now the whole family is in search of Baby Pubert. At the gated grounds, they split up. You become Uncle Fester. The mansion is surrounded by miles of gardens, swamps, mountains, rivers, deserts, and caverns. You will have to use all Fester’s finesse to avoid traps, solve puzzles and employ some really creepy helpers. Fester’s great family turns up all over to help as they search for Baby Pubert, giving out advice and items. Fester may find that not all Debbie’s Friends are loyal. Some may be willing to help him-for a price. Now get going. It’s spooky, crazy adventure with the wildly weird Addams Family!

You play as Uncle Fester in this one. To help you in your mission to find Pubert, Fester has the power to shoot lighting bolts out of his hand. At the beginning of each game, you are given three skulls standing for your life. Once you get hit, a white skull will turn red, then after another hit, disappears. Once all three disappear, you get a game over. As you start loosing lives, your lighting bolt attack will get smaller and less powerful. After beating a boss, or at other parts of the game you can receive a fourth skull and so on. Luckily, every once in a while you can get beetle cookies that will recover all of your health.

This game calls for a lot of exploration and a long adventure. You will go through different parts of the Addams world, doing different tasks and trying to get to the end of the game. In most of the tasks you have to complete will call for you to go very far out of your way to get certain tools and items. This can get aggravating but only increases the challenge level in this game.

The only other flaw in this game is that there are very few places to save. The only way you can save is talking to cousin Itt and he will give you a password. Itt appears very few times in this game and is usually hard to find. He is usually hidden in the edge of a swamp where you would never look. The only way I beat this game was in one long sitting. The other thing about passwords that I don’t like is that the passwords are usually very long and hard to read. They are about fifty characters long and G’s look like 6’s and I’s look like 1’s.

Graphics
Graphics were awesome for the Super Nintendo. I have absolutely no arguments on how they could have been improved or how they were bad. The backgrounds are very detailed and very well animated.

Sound
The sound is also awesome. There is a creepy background music, which adds to the mood of the game, and so do the sound effects. I especially like the background music and have to give it lots of respect.

Game Play
This game is very fun and addictive. For some reason, this game just makes you want to play it and beat it. There are lots of cool items that help you and are strange. The controls are great. You can dodge things easily and without any trouble at all.

Replay Value
I spent most of my Super Nintendo playing when I was young on this game. I don’t play it that much anymore, but it definitely will last you a while when you get it.

Final Note
This is truly a great game. If you come across it you should definitely buy it. It has a lot of replay value and great graphics, sound and concept.