Review by TMaster

Reviewed: 08/07/01 | Updated: 08/07/01

Great Game.....Big Stats.....

This game is not bad. Has a intresting storyline and a good intro. A must play for beginners.
Gameplay:
Battle System - Pretty good, looks a bit like Lufia except need some improvements in graphics. The cursor you see that lets you choose the enemy to attack is no longer just a arrow but a rabbit (hmmm...interesting). To tell you the truth, it's actually the rabbit that you see that dissapeared in the intro. You're allowed to do two attacks. A physical damage or a magic attack. The spells slots for each player is limitted, so becareful of which spell you want to buy in a spell store. I know a few games with the same consept but I think this game is better. The special affects are great. I know lots of games but this has a nice battle system.
Control - The control is not bad. Might have a hard time cause you'll find when someone finish talking you have to press B to get out...a little bugging sometimes but it¡¦s nothing when you get used to it.
Didn¡¦t bring any nightmares on the gameplay, which mean its pretty good. I would give it about a 9 out of 10.
Story:

Well, the whole game began with our hero Shun giving his girl friend her birthday present. (this is in modern world) Then, a rabbit (it might be either Shun or his girl friend¡¦s pet) suddenly disappeared. After that, both characters were sucked into a time/dimension portal and was sucked into a weird world full of monsters and looks like in the middle ages. Shun¡¦s clothes actually changed into a battle suit. Suddenly, a skeleton attacked Shun, but was defeated by four strangers. The four strangers are going to join a group called R.A.G.E. They give Shun a sword and ask him to come along with them. Later you¡¦ll find Shun¡¦s girlfriend was kidnapped by an evil mage and was taken as prisoner. Basically the whole game is about the chosen one (Shun, of course) uniting the forces of the Dragon (meaning several weapons that will be gained along the game) to defeat the evil god. (forgot the name) Not a bad story actually. May not keep someone like me, who played a lot of RPGs, but is good for beginners. I would personally give this a 8 out of 10.
Graphics:
Map ¡V The graphic is great considering its an old game (and not made by a well-known company). The biggest problem would be that the characters have really big heads comparing to their body.
Town ¡V Not bad looking, just the character is a bit too bright. The characters looks weird cause they¡¦re bigger than the house! The doors looked like mice holes and they really don¡¦t fit the characters.
I would give it a 7 out of 10.
Sound:
The music is great actually. The sound is not bad. But may need some variety.
I would give this a 8 out of 10.
Replay Value:
Unless you¡¦re not satisfied with the first try, I would not suggest you to play this game again. It is pretty hard and there¡¦s not ex-play or new game + in the game. I would just see it as a training game for newbies in RPGs.
I won¡¦t rate this since it doesn¡¦t affect the actual gameplay.
Price:
I personally would buy the game. A RPG is not a RPG is you don¡¦t have time to play it and this game needs time. Rentals are not good enough. I would probably buy this game at a $10-$15 value.
Unique things about this game:
This game has a unique system for giving exp and gold. If your characters¡¦ levels are very low and you are fighting a really hard enemy, you¡¦ll gain more exp and gold than using having a party that has high levels. If your levels are really high, then you will not encounter really weak enemies in areas you¡¦ve been before.
Normal RPGs only have equipment slots for weapons, shields, armors, boots, helmets, and hand items such as rings or gloves. This game actually went to a higher level. It has a really odd equipment slot called ¡§Hip¡¨. (ie. pants that your characters wear)
If you read my topic, you¡¦ll be surprised that it gets answered very late in the review. Anyway, this game has really big stats. If you ever read the FAQ for this game, you¡¦ll know that you can have HP, ATP, and DFP that go over the range of 9999. Yeah characters that attack over 9999 is not common in games, actually this is the few games that does that. But I think it¡¦s the only game that does that in normal attacks.
Overall Rating: 8/10