Review by Prince Taurus

Reviewed: 10/28/03

A great Text Adventure

As you probably know, Radical Dreamers is the ''Missing Link'' between Chrono Trigger, and Chrono Cross. The game that Chrono Cross is heavily based on. Radical Dreamers was released for the Bandai SatellaView (BSX), so not many people got a chance to play it, which is a shame.

Gameplay - 7/10
In Radical Dreamers, you rely on text to move around and such, so getting around can be quite obnoxious, to say the least. Often times, you get lost or such. In Radical Dreamers, battling is also Text Based, so, it can be very confusing, you battle it off by trying to choose the correct text commands, choosing one command could result in you getting hit by an enemy, and losing some HP.

Being a text adventure, it may turn some people off, but, Still, it's fun.

Story - 7/10
The basic story is, you're a group of thieves, known as the ''Radical Dreamers'', it consists of Serge the wandering Bard, Kid the coarse Thief, and the Mysterious, yet wise Magil.

Your goal is to find the ''Frozen Flame'', hidden inside of Lynx's Manor, this will be no easy task, and there's several hidden traps, and some things may not be as they seem...

Really, it's a nice story, and there's a bunch of other little Scenarios, in which the story differs a bit, I can't say much about them, as it would be spoilers, but there's 7 of them. All of those Scenarios add points to the score, because they're all interesting, and focus on the different characters.

Graphics 2/10
Ok, this is hard to do... Basically, they show pictures to show where you're at and such. And they're re-used a lot, but they're nice, relaxing, and such. In one scene, you get to see the characters, well, sort of, and they look real good, 3D almost.

But, still, the lack of pictures takes away from the score. You get to see Monsters and such, they look pretty standard for the Super Nintendo, but that's all. This has to be its weakest point -- but what's there to expect? It IS a ''Text Adventure''.

Sound/Music 7/10
There are various sound effects in Radical Dreamers, some are from Chrono Trigger, but not very much. Let's just say, they're pretty standard, a little crude, and obnoxious at times. The Sound Effects aren't its strong point.

It has very nice music, except for the horrendous Battle Theme, known as ''Gale'', which is also the battle theme in Chrono Cross, if I recall. It has really nice, relaxing, ambient music. I really enjoyed it, especially the Opening Song, the Epilogue Song, and the Music Box song, they're all so nice. Especially the Music Box theme, which has sort of an emotional feel to it, it's also what ''Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World'' is based on in Chrono Cross.

So, very nice music, but standard sound effects.

Play Time 5 Hours
You can PROBABLY beat this game in about 5 hours, this is just a rough estimate, don't go in and expect to beat this game within that allotted time. It's a really nice way to spend a few hours, though, especially in the middle of the night in dark, it's much more relaxing that way.

Replayability 9/10
This varies from person-to-person, It's hard to sum up replayabilty. I rate it a 9/10, because of all the Scenarios, there's a bunch to play, so you'll be occupied for a while. I find it nice to go back and play through it again, but that's just me.

Final Recommendation
I cannot suggest that you go out and rent, or buy this game, because, technically, that'd probably be impossible. Thanks to a certain person, we can now play Radical Dreamers in English, but, to do that, you'll have to find out on your own. I'm sure you know what I mean.

So, overall, this is a very nice game, a good, relaxing way to spend a few hours, but don't go playing this and expect a Chrono Trigger, this game is a bit more serious than Chrono Trigger. Keep an open mind when you go to play it, don't think of it as a ''Chrono Trigger 2'', think of it just as ''Radical Dreamers''.