Review by CityHuntr

Reviewed: 04/17/03 | Updated: 04/17/03

* Investigate Kid a little more

English-only readers rejoice, for this game has finally been translated by Demiforce and associates, who are good men.

Radical Dreamers is a very different game than what we often see coming from Squaresoft. Opting for more of a text-based approach, Square writes of a charming and amusing adventure between three friends. While Serge was a typical silent hero in Chrono Cross, we get to see a part of him in Radical Dreamers that was impossible to get through his silent role otherwise.
In this game, Serge is the narrator, and he has quite a bit to think and say about many of the situations he gets into. Thanks to the game's text approach, we get to know him better than we possibly could through a normal RPG. Thanks once again should be extended to Demiforce and friends for a very clean and well done translation. They are good men. Now, to some specifics..

The general structure of the game is reminiscent of Resident Evil. You explore rooms, encounter locks, and must find things to get past those locks. Once you get the hang of the structure of the Manor the game takes place in, it is very easy to navigate and get the job done. As you progress and meet new areas, the game helps you to remember where rooms are. For example, in the beginning of the game, you will simply see choices such as ''Take the left passage.'' but when you need to take that passage again, it will say ''Take the passage into the (whatever room).'' which is very helpful.

While the game lends itself mostly to exploration, there is certainly not a lack of battle. Like the rest of the game, battles take the form of narrated text. Serge explains his situation to you, and you must select from several choices based on the situation. The only complaint about these battles is that they are always the same. If you encounter five goblins and live, you can use the same exact strategy next time you find 'five goblins'. Encounters are random, with several fixed-location battles to help the plot. Overall, the battles are well written. Even if Serge is definitely not a fighting type of guy, he sometimes does remarkably well in battle.

On the downside, the game is relatively short. While it is filled with plenty of text, it will last you much lesser than ten hours, depending on how well you can navigate a small manor through text. Fear not, however, because there are alternate storylines to this game. Once you have finished it for the first time, you can start again. more choices will pop up, allowing you to branch off from the main story into others completely different. Watch out, though, some of them are very wacky and bizarre. I will make no spoilers for you, but be prepared for some interesting and fun stories.

As I've said numerous times, the game is mostly consisting of text, but there certainly are some visuals. Pictures of enemies are posted in the background of the text, as are rooms, characters, and other places. They are not spectacular graphics, but they illustrate the manor well enough.

I know, right now you probably are thinking ''OMG!!!!!!Z!Z! DOES IT GOT CHRONO CROSS CHARSZ!?'' and of course it does. Kid accompanies Serge through this adventure, and she's as hot-tempered as ever. She's much better expressed in this game, actually. Fans of Kid should be happy with Radical Dreamers. Fans of Serge, on the other hand, will probably not be so enthusiastic. Serge is very different in Radical Dreamers. In fact, he doesn't even resemble the Serge Chrono Cross visually.

And there you have it. There's not much more I can say about it. It's wonderful if you're interested in doing a small bit of reading, and especially if you're interested in having another take at Serge and Kid.