Review by DarkSoldierX99

Reviewed: 01/23/04

Indeed a true compliment to the anime

I must say that Yuu Yuu Hakusho is my all time favorite anime and as I was playing this game it felt like I was watching the show. In short this game is a fighting game. However not the 2D jump punch special move kind. This is more of a strategy in which you don't physically move the fighter you more tell him what to do. Okay here we go.

Graphics:10/10
Perfect drawings of the anime. That is all there is to say even the techniques match to the drawing style of this game. And no two techniques look alike either. You can tell a lot of time was spent on the graphics of the game.

Sound:7/10
For the most part the sound wasn't bad. The character's voices are a little muffled and it is hard to hear them sometimes. But overall it isn't that big a deal. The background music for the most part isn't from the show which lowers the score a little bit. However the music they do have in the game suits it well. Everything else in the game sounds good especially the Spirit techniques.

Game play:9/10
Very well thought of, it suits Yuu Yuu Hakusho splendidly. You start off by holding down on the up right left and down arrow keys then pressing either A B Y or X. Each directional arrow does something different block spirit technique attack and power up. Also there are 4 different moves for each arrow key ultimately making 16 different things to do each time you fight. The tricky part is doing it fast enough before your enemy does too.It may seem a bit confusing at first especially if you can't read Japanese but after a few hours of game time you will be fighting like a pro.

Story:10/10
Superb that is the best word for it.This game actually has a pretty elaborate story mode. You go through the Spirit Detective and Dark Tournament Sagas. And though the Spirit Detective Saga is a bit short the Dark Tournament makes up for it. You control Yuske, Kuwabara, Hiei, Kurama, and Genkai and battle through the other teams, just like the show. The story is even better if you can understand what they are saying but even if you can't you can pretty much get a good feel of what's going on in the game simply by watching the well drawn cut scene.

Buy/Rent
BUY BUY BUY!!! If you are lucky enough to see this game buy it without hesitation as it was never released in the US. don't think twice especially if you love Yuu Yuu Hakusho. I mean it you will regret letting this rare feature go so trust me it is worth the jacked up price.

Overall:9/10
Graphics Story and Gameplay are outstanding. Sound is decent you really can't go wrong here I mean it. The one draw back is to why this game didn't get a 10 is it is very short. But there is a Versus mode and if you have the password there is a large character selection to choose from. You will spend hours playing this game and once again if you ever come across it at a flea market or something just buy it trust me, you won't be disappointed