Review by Darkside109

Reviewed: 12/17/04

A very great game that should be obtained in any way possible.

This review is for Fire Emblem 4: Seisen No Keifu. Fire Emblem 4 only came out in Japan, so if you want to get it, you will either have to get the Japanese game, or get a ROM. If you get the ROM, you can get a Patch that translates 80% of the text into English. I figured about this game when I hear that it was one of the best Fire Emblems; I was told the truth. I started playing at first until Chapter 4 but then I got stuck, I only was using like three units. I restarted again and now I am playing through it. Try to get this game in any way that you can. This is my very first review! Here is the review:

The story starts off with someone getting kidnapped and her friend is trying to save her. It starts off simple, but it gets very detailed and interesting as it goes on. There is also a major plot twist towards half of the game. I would go on about the story but I do not wish for it to be spoiled for you.

Controls: 10/10
The reason I gave it a 10/10, is because on the computer you can set the controls to whatever you want! You can even plug in a controller that only works for computers and use it too. For the Actual SNES game, the controls are still good you just don't pick what you want them to be.

This is only SNES so you can't expect much, but for SNES, I think the graphics are very good. The battle backgrounds look great and so do the maps. The character's faces look good as well. I subtracted a point because the character sprites on the map are not very detailed. Other than that, the graphics are good.

Music/Sound: 10/10
The sound and music for this game is great! Every Chapter has at least two new tunes, and like 90% of them are very good. There is a song during the player phase, and a song during the enemy phase. There are 12 Chapters in this game and only one of the pieces of music did not appeal to me. The rest did.
The Sound is good, but not as good as the Music. The slashing of a sword, the throwing of a spear, the sound effects are very well done.

Fire Emblem 4 is a strategy-RPG, meaning you have a certain amount of characters, called units that are placed on a map. The map has an invisible grid that you can only see when you are moving your units. Each unit can move a certain amount of spaces on the grid.

Units that you control are Blue, units that you do not control but are on your side are Green, and the enemy units are Red. Once a Green or Blue unit is right next to a Red unit, it may attack it. The other unit will usually counter-attack unless if you attack it with a ranged weapon, such as throwing axes, spears, magic, and arrows. Each attack usually does damage. Once you get the enemy unit's Hit Points down to Zero, the other unit disappears from the map.

*ALWAYS KEEP IN MIND THAT IF YOUR UNIT FALLS IN BATTLE, YOU CAN NOT GET IT BACK UNLESS YOU USE A STAFF THAT COSTS 30,000 GOLD TO REPAIR!* Also, each unit can have it's own weapons. You can get weapons from shops. In order to buy weapons, you need money. The most common ways of getting money are through saving villages and fighting in the arena. Villages don't always give money, sometimes they give good items!

You can also use money to repair weapons. Weapons usually have 50 uses, every attack takes up one use. If you repair it, it gets back to 50. The basic idea of the game is to get to an enemy castle. There is usually someone on top of the castle; those are the people who are guarding it. Defeat them, and then take Sigurd(the main character, he is the guy with Blue hair that you start with) to the door of the castle. After conquering some castles, you complete a chapter. Chapters are like levels.

Replay Value: 10/10
This game has a HUGE replay value; you CANNOT get a perfect game on this game. You can only have up to 50 characters total when there are about 71 in all! Also, if two characters fall in love they can have kids that can grow up and fight as units. Different couples makes the characters grow better in different areas; this adds GREAT value of replay.

RENT OR BUY?
Well, you can't rent it anymore, at least not where I know of.
You can just but the Japanese Cartridge for SNES, or get the ROM. The ROM isn't the honest way, but you get it in English if you can find a Patch for it. Either way, no matter how you get it, GET THIS GAME! It is way worth it. You will not be disappointed.

Controls: 10/10
Music/Sound: 10/10
Replay Value: 10/10
OVERALL : 10/10 (Rounded up.)