Review by Juigi Kario

Reviewed: 11/29/02 | Updated: 02/24/03

People like this part of the series more than any other. I don't blame them at all.

Once again, I shall try to write from an unbiased view. Not that people will dislike me for it. Anyway....

I took a point off for using too wide a range with battle scenes. I mean, how can Lex rush in from a distance and attack an Axeman that he was next to at the beginning of his turn, when Archers attack from the distance Lex rushed in and they can't attack right next to the Axeman? Regardless, at least the battles go quickly and are nice to watch. They're improved a fair amount from FE3 too.

Well, a group of barbarians from a kingdom named Verdane have decided to attack a place called Jungby, so that they can pound Grandbell from behind while they're at war with Issac, and Sigurd has to stop them. But Verdane is only the first of the trouble spots to liberate. Eventually, however, Sigurd and his troops does not exactly find paradise at one point.......

Audio: 10/10

Yep. Fire Emblem wins in this category every time as far as I'm concerned. Then again, I'm somewhat too fond of music.

The real meat of the game. The gameplay is still like the original Fire Emblem's gameplay (battle on map, visit villages to save them and get rewards, buy things from shops, etc.), but there are also additions to it. First, we have a love system. You have two unmarried troops each of different genders stand next to each other and talk to each other when possible, and they get married. This is important in the first half, because if a girl troop you have then isn't paired with somebody else, she won't bear any children and you'll get some lousy substitute. This adds to the replay value. But there are more overall noteworthy features. You always have a castle, and you must guard the first one you have control over in the chapter because if it is taken over, ALL your troops will be considered dead, and since that includes Sigurd (or his child), it is an automatic game over. Also, be sure when you want to take over a castle, even if it isn't the last on the map; enemies may hail from that castle, and if you take it over, they die automatically without giving up a single experience point. Which brings me to the next noteworthy feature: the arena system. In the other FEs (except 2, but that doesn't have the arena system anyway), a fighter may fight in the arena as much as they want, but if they lost, they die. In FE4, however, somebody could score only 7 arena victories per map, but at least if they lost, they'd be left with 1 HP instead. Arenas could only be used at castles. And then there's the Repair Shop, also only useable at castles. Items still, of course, break if overused. But for a nominal fee, you can have them repaired there. This limits the total number of items your army may have more easily. But it isn't like your army shouldn't have too many items anyway. All we would need now is the Capture and Rescue commands and the ability to easily trade items and this would be really close to perfection for a turn-based SRPG.

Difficulty: 10/10

All the other Fire Emblems (and I don't just mean Thracia 776) are already harder than Advance Wars, and there's no reason to expect this to be any easier......

Replayability: 6/10

With the love system, you're bound to play this having children with varied stats. But there's no multiplayer. :