Can someone give me their thoughts on my party build?

1. I recently started playing DQ3, and I'm driving myself crazy overthinking my team build. I've read posts on here, DQ wiki, I even scoured the DQ subreddit trying to learn the best way to change my party's classes.

My current Team is- Fighter>Cleric>Thief.

At this point all I have decided on is to transition my Thief into a Sage & keep the fighter a fighter. I don't know what to do with the cleric. Should I make another fighter or I was thinking possibly another sage to have Hero>Fighter>Sage>Sage.

If anyone could give me their opinion and some insight into this I'd be grateful as I've been spending as much time reading about class change as actually playing the game. Yes, I obsess...
    Zombre - 2 years ago - report

1. Honestly, you can use any team you want but make sure you have a healer, damage dealer and a offensive spells user.

For my Walkthrough, I went with Hero, Warrior, Mage and Cleric.

I changed only my Mage to a Sage.

Your party set up is nice. 2 decent fighters and 2 decent spell casters. If you go with Hero, Fighter, Sage, Sage then you'll have no problem in the end game. Just make sure you use 1 Sage for mainly healing and the other for offensive spells.

As for the early party set up, hero, a fighter, cleric and thief is a great set up.

At Level 20, your Thief should have learned all his abilities that will help you find hidden treasures in case you plan on not using a Walkthrough. I advise you use a Walkthrough during the early part of the game so you won't miss any items if you're going for 100%.

Unfortunately, the Thief learns the Seek Out ability at around Level 20 so it'll be hard to find all the hidden items till then. At Level 20 or so your Thief has already learnt all his abilities so you are free to change him to a Sage.

Make sure you have the Seek Out ability before you convert your Thief to a Sage. The Seek out ability will help your journey if you're not using a Walkthrough.
    _Young-Gamer_ (FAQ Author) - 2 years ago - report 0   0
  2. If you're planning on using a Walkthrough, check out mine. I used the v1.1 patch for the SNES and I also pointed out places that will freeze your game so you need to be careful.

Save your game regularly so you don't have to start all over again if you encountered a glitch. If you're using an Emulator to play the game then save frequently everytime in case you encounter a freeze.

If you don't know how to pass a place that freezes, check out my Walkthrough. You don't need to use any cheat to beat the game or pass the freeze.
    _Young-Gamer_ - 2 years ago - report

1. If you like the party then keep them the way they are, you can finish the game with just about any party. I can't think of a reason not to change a cleric to a sage, or the thief either, but you don't have to if you like them.

The Hero and Fighter can easily remain unchanged for the entire game. There is an advantage with armor if the fighter, or any other character, is female. For the endgame and bonus dungeon the two sages will be a bit better.
    chaoyun2k - 2 years ago - report 1   0
  2. Ok, thank you, I was overthinking it. Zombre - 2 years ago - report