Review by Captain Doormat

Reviewed: 07/21/02 | Updated: 06/14/03

Better than the Gamegear version

If you have to play Sonic Chaos, play this version.

Gameplay:7/10
It's the Sonic we all know and love. You start at the far left of the level, and work your way right towards the end of the level. On the way, you must collect rings to stay alive when you hit an enemy. If you do hit an enemy, you will lose your rings. If you get hit with no rings, you die. A simple game that works really well.
The goodies consist of a monitor, with the image of an item on its screen. Destroy the monitor to obtain the item.
The bosses are unimaginative and unbelievably easy. The harder ones require you to stand at the edge, and jump onto the boss while it jumps onto you. The rings you have will keep flying in the air and landing back on you.
I was not impressed by the overall lastabilty and challenge that this game has (or had). Yes, it was challenging.. when I was 8.
The levels are thought out and everything, but are too short, and they allow you to run through them without a second thought. I can run through the first level in under thirty seconds.
That's the bad thing about the game-it's so bloody easy. I can beat it in just over half an hour, which is really disappointing.

Graphics:8/10
This is really where the Master System version beats the Game Gear version. The graphics are sharp and clear, and still look like a Genesis game-but there is no blur! Not only does this make the game more enjoyable, but also more presentable.

This game closely represents Sonic 2 on the Genesis, in terms of Graphics and the new moves featured.

Sounds:6/10
The sounds are the standard Sonic things, the same ding for when you collect a ring, etc. Nothing new. Sounds are reused to a repetive extent on bosses.

Music:6/10
The music is sounds bad for the Master System, but many of the tunes are catchy, and are better than some games.

Controls:9/10
The controls are still amazingly simple. The D-pad moves, and the button jump. But a new game, new moves.. now Sonic can Spindash, run on the spot, and Tails can fly, and Spindash too. Tails' abilty to fly makes playing the game with him so much easier, because you are able to fly over everything.

Overall:6/10
Fun for everyone, but just a bit too easy.