16K or 48K RAM...full-size moving-key keyboard...colour and sound...high resolution graphics...
First, there was the world-beating ZX80.
Then, the ZX81. With up to 16K RAM available. Giving more power and flexibility. And the ZX81 remains the ideal low-cost introduction to computing.
Now there's the ZX Spectrum! With up to 48K of RAM. A full-size moving-key keyboard. Vivid colour and sound. High-resolution graphics.
Professional power - personal computer price!
The ZX Spectrum contains all the proven features of the ZX81. But its new 16K BASIC ROM dramatically increases your computing power.
You have access to a range of 8 colours for the foreground, background and border, together with a sound generator and high-resolution graphics.
You have the facility to support separate data files.
You have a choice of storage capacities, (governed by the amount of RAM) 16K of RAM, (which you can uprate to 48K later) or a massive 48K of RAM.
Ready to use today, easy to expand tomorrow.
Your ZX Spectrum comes with a mains adaptor and all the necessary leads to connect to most cassette recorders and TVs. (colour or black and white)
Employing Sinclair BASIC (now used in over 500,000 computers worldwide) the ZX Spectrum comes complete with two manuals which together represent a detailed course in BASIC programming. Whether you're a beginner or a competent programmer, you'll find them both of immense help. Depending on your computer experience, you'll quickly be moving into the colourful world of ZX Spectrum professional-level computing.
There's no need to stop there. The ZX Printer -- available now -- is fully compatible with the ZX Spectrum. And later this year there will be microdrives for massive amounts of on-line storage, plus RS232/network interface board.
Key features of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum
* Full colour -- 8 colours each for foreground, background and border, plus flashing and brightness-intensity control.
* Sound -- BEEP command with variable pitch and duration.
* Massive RAM -- 16K or 48K.
* Full-size moving-key keyboard -- all keys at normal typewriter pitch, with repeat facility on each key.
* High-resolution -- 256 dots horizontally x 192 vertically, each individually addressable for true high-resolution graphics.
* ASCII character set -- with upper - and lower-case characters.
* Teletext-compatible -- user software can generate 40 characters per line or other settings.
* High speed LOAD & SAVE -- 16K in 100 seconds via cassette, with VERIFY & MERGE for programs and separate data files.
* Sinclair Extended BASIC -- incorporating unique 'one touch' keyword entry, syntax check, and report codes.