Review by dasmightyburn2k2

Reviewed: 12/30/02 | Updated: 12/30/02

Better than expected!

Before I review this game, I have one thing I just, have to get off my chest. I hate Star Wars. Just don't ask why. Now why am I reviewing this game if I hate Star Wars? It's quite simple. I wanted this game, when the 32X just came out and I liked Star Wars at the time as well. And even through all of that, it's still a good game.

Star Wars Arcade is one of those few Model 1 arcade based, Sega arcade games ported over to the 32X, with Virtua Fighter, and Virtua Racing Deluxe being another one of them. If you are looking for a game that pushes the 32X to the max, then this game is for you. Star Wars Arcade was first released in the Arcade back in the late 1990's. This 32X version was developed and published by Sega of America. The end result is a, more-or-less perfect port of the arcade classic.

Graphics: Great, now this looks just like the Arcade hit. However, there is a lot of annoying popup. Now it's not a big problem, but it's minor. The game looks, just as you remembered it in the Arcade, but there could be some polygons missing.

Sound: I have to admit, it's nothing great, and is not nearly as good as it could be, which is a shame, because the Star Wars theme is a good song, but not really good sounding in this game.

Gameplay: This is where it really shines. The gameplay is a behind the view type of shooter that gives you control of an X-wing, or another ship to pilot (name escapes me at the moment). Unlike After Burner, there is not a fixed amount of room to work with, you can move around in fluid 3D. Just like After Burner, when you really dive into what the game has to offer in terms of the game play and even the control, there is little here that differs from one stage to the next, leaving you with the feeling of sameness. Weapons are kept simple with lasers and missiles being your only choice and you'll have to learn to work with them at all levels. It's very slow. Too bad you have to deal with a timer, good thing you can disable it with a cheat code. The control is really great, and responsive.

Replay Value: Not much sadly, if you want to beat your high score, then go ahead. Or you can play the slightly different ''32X mode'' That's all there really is to this game, sadly.

All in all, Star Wars Arcade is a good port of an arcade classic. A 2-player mode is included, but you can only use one ship with it. But it's fun to go back time after time and play it. This game is pretty cheap to find. In fact, it was the best selling 32X game of all time and as a result, rather common to find! A worthy purchase, nonetheless.