Review by Larcen Tyler

Reviewed: 06/03/02 | Updated: 06/03/02

I still haven't found what I'm looking for!

When I saw the name 'Hang-On' on the case, I thought that Sega had taken a classic game and remade it for the 32-bit era, complete with the classic theme song that I knew and loved. Well, when I got my Saturn, this was one of the first games that I picked up, and I can truly say that I was very disappointed. Not only was there no classic theme song, but the whole game was below average!

You'll race through cityscapes, mountains, tunnels, things like that, but they sure don't look all that great. There's a lot of pop-up when it comes to the backgrounds. On top of that, the crashes are just plain bizarre! One minute you're racing, then you slam into a wall, and the next thing you see is your motorcycle spinning on its side on the road, then you're back in the race. What's up with that?!

Sounds: 4/10
The motorcycle's engine sounds like it belongs back in the 16-bit department, as it's extremely loud and very high pitched, often sounding more like something that came out of an old Sega Genesis game instead of something that belongs on the Sega Saturn. If that's not bad enough, it even drowns out the music, but then again, the music sounds too generic as it is, and there's no classic theme song from the original Hang-On! A female voice comes on when you pass a checkpoint or are on the final lap, but that's it in terms of announcement.

Controls: 8/10
You can accelerate, brake, and steer with the greatest of ease, and the Left and Right triggers on top of the controller allow you to move slightly in those respective directions. The only downer is that sometimes hitting a wall too hard can result in a crash, but that's the only thing. For the most part, the controls are easy to pick up and play.

Replay: 4/10
There's really little in terms of replay, other than unlocking a few extra tracks and some new motorcycles. Couple that with the poor graphics and sounds, and there's really little reason to even start playing this game in the first place (although I did, but that's another story altogether!)

If motorcycle racing is your cup of tea, then you're welcome to give this game a try, but be warned that it's not as good as it may look. Otherwise, send it into the pits for a long tune up. With poor graphics, an awful motorcycle engine sound, and a lack of the classic theme song, this proves that what I'm looking for still has yet to come!