Persona 3 fes vs. persona 3 portable?

1. Hi guys,
    i just have a short question. When i already have persona 3 fes for ps 2 is it even worth it, to buy persona 3 portable, since i dont wanna waste my money for a game i may already have. So i would appreciate it if someone could tell me how much has changed in comparison to p3 fes.
    Feyrbrand31 - 11 years ago - report

1. Well, yes and no. Atlus USA did not include the Answer in P3P, but touched up on everything else.

P3P was streamlined for the PSP, so no more anime cutscenes this time around. You also cannot walk around in areas any more, the overworld being more menu-ized and having the characters being 3d, non-moving sprites and the locations you can interact with clearly shown. Tartarus and battles are still 3D, but due to the graphics limitations, the graphics are downgraded to an extent.

The core gameplay changes I have seen are basically the changes and additions from Persona 4, such as being able to control party members and the like (though you can choose to have your members be AI still as well. There is also the fact that there are now two extra difficulty modes, both being on separate sides of the diffculty board (maniac I know, don't remember the name of the other one, know it is near easy). A smaller edition is the inclusion of rescue quests, where people (including some of your S. Links, which get put on hold until rescued) get stuck in Tartarus and you can save them for a reward. Also, the Male MC can only wield 1 handed swords now, so bummer for that.

Of course, we can't forget a major edition to the game, the female protagonist. She has a story very similar to the P3 male protagonist's, but with different social links and different conversations, but the core is the same. Though another difference between the two involves one of the new social links, though I don't want to spoil the surprise. The FeMC cannot wield 1-handed swords, she instead wields Naginatas. And just a quick example of a new social link for the FeMC: Koromaru is now the Strength arcana S. Link.

I would say this is a totally different game, and I personally as a fan of the Persona series will be getting P3P, even though I have FES, just so I can try out the game additions, carry P3 with me, and to run through the game one last time, though the choice to buy is up to you.
    Cryptorus - 11 years ago - report 17   5

1. P3P is mechanically better in most ways. It's got the same combat style as P4G. If you miss the cut scenes you can pause the game and watch them on YouTube. I am doing this right now and it's actually quite a good solution. They're infrequent so it's a small thing to pop out my phone or whatever and watch them there. I have played the entire series and most SMT titles and like the Girl storyline best - not just because I relate better to my own gender (though I do) but I think the writing is more energetic and interesting. Very often stories that are seen as "unimportant" in JRPGs are allowed to be more free and relaxed, with less preconception and stereotyping, and this results in better writing. If you're familiar with substories in Yakuza you know exactly what I mean. (If you don't, Yakuza is so good!) camidumas - 1 year ago - report 16   7

1. P3F is definitely recommended for the first playthrough, simply because P3P cuts a lot of visuals and the female option wasn't meant for the first playthrough anyway (the itself game tells you that at the start).
    So do it.
    Sem4545 - 1 year ago - report 1   1
  2. Also, one other quick thing, the conversations now have a visual-novel style to them, the only 3d characters are while in tartarus, in combat, and the persona fusions I believe. Cryptorus - 11 years ago - report 3   4