Review by PentiumMMX

Reviewed: 08/05/08

An average game that lacks the style of past Crash games

From 1996 until 1999, Crash Bandicoot was the PlayStation's definitive platform game series, along with Crash Team Racing, one of the best cart-based racing games I have ever played. After Naughty Dog lost the rights to Crash Bandicoot, the series eventually became a cash cow for Vinvidi Games, with average games released left and right. In late 2007, a little over 11 years after the first game in the series, Vinvidi returns with yet another Crash game: Crash of the Titans, which is the most recent Crash game I've played since Crash Team Racing on the original PlayStation. Is it any good, though?

Storyline
Cortex is mutating the inhabitance of "N. Sanity Island" (I don't know, or even care, what name they decided to call the island here, so I'll just use the name of an island from the first game as a placeholder), turning them into powerful monsters, and it’s up to Crash to save the day. It's nothing really important or impressive, and it actually sounds shallower than the story to the first Crash Bandicoot.
Storyline: 4 out of 10

Graphics
After playing Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back for weeks before I first played Crash of the Titans, the graphics actually look good...even though it doesn't look much like a Crash game (The characters (Except for Dr. Cortex) don't look right). They could always push it further, but it still looks great.
Graphics: 8 out of 10

Controls
It works great, and isn't too hard to get used to, but doesn't match up to Crash Bandicoot 2's controls (Which work slightly better for me).
Controls: 7 out of 10

Music
I never cared much for the original Crash Bandicoot's soundtrack, but this actually makes me miss it. Its soundtrack doesn't even sound like a Crash game to me, which is actually a letdown. Otherwise, the soundtrack is ok, but it's nothing you'll remember once you're done.
Music: 3 out of 5

As soon as I started playing, my first though was "Is this supposed to be Crash Bandicoot?". It feels like someone decided to take Crash and turn it into a Double Dragon clone. It's got some platform jumping, but you'll mostly be fighting hordes of enemies with basic punches and kicks. One thing I though was interesting in Crash of the Titans is the ability to "jack" more powerful enemies once you lower their health enough, allowing you to control them for a while. However, other than being straight-forward and featuring quite a few of the characters from the older, Naughty Dog-era Crash games, it feels nothing like a Crash game.
Gameplay: 5 out of 10

Overall
It's Crash Bandicoot in name only. If you're a fan of the newer Crash games, you might like this, while everyone else (Fans of the older Crash games included) should probably rent it first.

Product Release: Crash of the Titans (US, 10/16/07)