Review by SneakTheSnake

Reviewed: 06/07/13

A nice bout of arcade fun.

This game doesn’t date back to the arcade days, nor is it a remake of an arcade classic; however, 2D Rotating Octopus Character feels like it could have easily belonged in that era, and yet the gameplay is really quite unique. You play as the eponymous octopus, and you must, well, rotate around each 2D overhead level to collect the baby octopi which have been kidnapped and scattered across various themed worlds.

The trick here is that you’re always moving, always rotating; you can press X to launch yourself off whatever surface you’re on. Whatever you land on, you’ll just continue moving or, if you land on a circular surface, you’ll continue rotating around whatever you’ve landed on. You must continually launch yourself, almost pinball-style, from surface to surface; all you can do is change direction and launch yourself. Babies will continue to fall into the stage after you collect the others, or when the countdown timer hits specific points, whichever comes first. You’ll collect the babies, which typically appear in groups of three or four, until you’ve gotten them all. You lose if you run out of time or get hit by an enemy or projectile.

Picture the barrel cannon levels in Donkey Kong Country; 2D Octopus character reminds me a lot of those segments, as the character is at first stuck in a near-static state, and the player must simply “launch” the character at just the right moment to get to where you want to go.

It’s a twitchy arcade-type game at its core, and its fast-paced nature will either be its blessing and its curse for players. I personally feel the game moves a bit too fast, and I wish there was a way to make your character brake. The other caveat is that levels must be beat in sets of ten and not individually. Players typically don’t have to replay a lot if they fail at, say, the eighth level in a set of ten, but these levels can get pretty difficult pretty quickly; this game is full of difficulty spikes.

The graphics and sound are adorable but are no means technically impressive by any measure. The game looks and sounds much like a Super Nintendo game; perhaps that’s what the developers were going for. I don’t find the look especially charming but, in my opinion, the soundtrack suits the game well enough.

2D Rotating Octopus Character is a bit difficult, but that’s part of the point. If you’re into fast-reaction arcade titles, this game surely won’t disappoint; its fast-paced gameplay is sure to keep purists entertained. There’s no reason for the game to require players to beat levels in ten-level chunks, though; I think that’s just a bit much. That, and there isn’t much replay value or multiplayer to speak of.

Product Release: The 2D Adventures of Rotating Octopus Character (US, 06/02/11)